Searching and going to a record using datasource controls

fig000

Hi,

I'm trying to use the sqldatasource control and a detailsview to
create a fully functional data entry screen; it's quite easy. I can see
the strength of creating a master grid associated with a detailsview
that gives you access to the record you choose in the grid.

However one of the basic functions of this type of screen is the
ability to enter a search term and have the grid display the record
that is closest the search term. That would allow a user to search for
the record he or she wants and then click on it in the grid to edit it.
I've seen some vague mentions of how this would be done using
datasource controls but nothing specific.

I was also wondering if it was possible to have detailsview (or
formview or gridview for that matter) display a certain record within
from a datasource without having a parent control/datasource to
determine what record that is. For instance, let's say you added a new
record to a table and you wanted the gridview to display the page that
that record is in. You'd have to find which page the record is in by
finding the row number of the record, dividing it by the page size,
etc. I can't seem to find how to do this kind of this in 2005.

I realize I may be missing the point and that the new datasource
controls aren't designed to do this kind of thing; I'm thinking in very
ado.net 1.1 disconnected dataset terms. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Fig