Searching for a WYSIWYG HTML Editor - See My Requirements before commenting.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by TJ, Aug 6, 2006.

  1. TJ

    TJ Guest

    I need a special kind of WYSIWYG html editor, and would like to see if
    anyone in this newsgroup has seen one that will do simple tasks.

    I would love to type in content in simple word processing type format,
    and have it converted to simple html code.

    Right now, I type into Word my content, like:

    This is a test

    Had it been an actual alert…

    I spell check it and correct any grammar. Then I rework it to the
    point it makes sense. Once I like the content, I then cut and paste
    etc.

    (I do use CSS to save on typing the code for fonts and colors.)

    I then save the text file and ftp it to my php directory on the web
    site.

    If I want to make a change, I have to type any changes into Word for
    spell checking, and re-add html code.

    It is time consuming.

    Here is what I am trying to do.

    I build a fair number of simple web sites that use php code to include
    text files with the "guts of a page". I build a generic looking page
    and then "include" text files, using php, for left border links, top
    links, bottom links, footnotes to the web page, a copyright section,
    and most importantly the contents of a page.

    I need a way to create these text files with the proper html coding
    minus any of the header or footer stuff most editor add.

    Another way to say this is that every editor I have looked at, which
    is only a few, every time I create soemthing, the editor wants to
    generate a whole page of code. I don't need the code for a whole
    page, only for my typed section.

    For Example, here is the output from FrontPage for a simple set of
    content:

    <head>
    charset=windows-1252">
    <title>New Page 2</title>
    </head>

    I only need the part that reads:

    Not only that, but I would love to be able to edit this part, spell
    check, etc, and still get back only the code I need, notthe code for
    a whole web page.

    Is there such an editor?

    Thanks for any tips or help.

    Here is another example in case I did not expalin this well. Below is
    the contents, abbreviated for brevity, of a links section for one of
    my pages:

    <hr color="#7C2929" size="1">
    <h3>
    href="http://www.americanbestmortgages.com/mortgage-articles/mortgage-application.html">Mortgage
    </h3><ul>
    <li><a
    href="http://www.americanbestmortgages.com/mortgage-articles/mortgage_application_download.html">Download
    a Mortgage Application</a></li>
    <li><a
    href="http://www.americanbestmortgages.com/mortgage-articles/qualifying_mortgage.html">Two
    Key Factors in Qualifying for a Home Loan</a></li>
    </ul>

    <hr color="#7C2929" size="1">

    (By the way, this site is no longer active, so I am not trolling for
    traffic.)

    Notice that this code is complete in this file, ie no <ul> without the
    closing </ul>. Also the code can easily go inside of a cell. I use
    it like this:

    <?php

    include "filename.txt";

    ?>

    (assuming I made no typos.)

    So What I would love to be able to do is load filename.txt or
    whatever, have it display in a wysiwyg format and let me do simple
    editing. When I save, it would not generate the whole page of code,
    only the code for what I have typed, ie add the <p>'s where necessary,
    or the <ul>'s and <li>'s, but no header info etc.

    Again thanks.
    TJ, Aug 6, 2006

  2. On 2006-08-06, TJ wrote:
    > I need a special kind of WYSIWYG html editor, and would like to see if
    > anyone in this newsgroup has seen one that will do simple tasks.
    >
    > I would love to type in content in simple word processing type format,
    > and have it converted to simple html code.
    >
    > Right now, I type into Word my content, like:
    >
    > This is a test
    >
    > Had it been an actual alert…

    That character, …, will cause problems for some people. Use the
    entity, &hellip;.

    > I spell check it and correct any grammar. Then I rework it to the
    > point it makes sense. Once I like the content, I then cut and paste
    > etc.
    >
    > (I do use CSS to save on typing the code for fonts and colors.)
    >
    > I then save the text file and ftp it to my php directory on the web
    > site.
    >
    > If I want to make a change, I have to type any changes into Word for
    > spell checking, and re-add html code.
    >
    > It is time consuming.

    Then why not enter the codes in the Word document and save it as
    text?

    Better still would be a real text editor, such as emacs. There are
    many free text editors available.

    WYSIWIG HTML editors generally do a poor job of things.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Aug 6, 2006

  3. TJ

    TJ Guest

    On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 15:21:35 -0400, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-08-06, TJ wrote:
    >
    > That character, …, will cause problems for some people. Use the
    > entity, &hellip;.

    The "..." was only intended to show I cut material. It is not in the
    content and not pertinent to this discussion.

    >> It is time consuming.

    > Then why not enter the codes in the Word document and save it as
    > text?

    I have done this, but if I make significant changes to the content, I
    still have to spend time adding too much code.

    And if I do any lists or links, I also end up with a lot of typing of
    the <ul>, <li>, etc.

    So I was hoping to find a simple wyswig html editor to modify my text
    files.

    Thanks for your post.
    Best regards,

    TJ
    http://www.bscinc.net
    http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
    http://www.americanltci.com
    TJ, Aug 6, 2006
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed TJ <bscinc@Yahoo_NoSpam.com>
    writing in news::

    >> Then why not enter the codes in the Word document and save it as
    >> text?

    > I have done this, but if I make significant changes to the content, I
    > still have to spend time adding too much code.
    >
    > And if I do any lists or links, I also end up with a lot of typing of
    > the <ul>, <li>, etc.
    >
    > So I was hoping to find a simple wyswig html editor to modify my text
    > files.

    How about forgetting WYSIWYG altogether? Why not get a good plain text
    editor. I like HTML-Kit because it has a lot of great plugins,eg. you
    have a bunch of text that should be a list, highlight it, and presto! -
    list markup is added. It has spell check, thesaurus, HTML-Tidy,
    intregrates with TopStyle Lite for CSS, and there's even a plugin to make
    it act like a WYSIWYG. And...... it's free. <http://www.chami.com/html-
    kit/>

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 6, 2006
  5. TJ wrote:
    > I need a special kind of WYSIWYG html editor, and would like to see if
    > anyone in this newsgroup has seen one that will do simple tasks.

    Create a Word macro that deletes everything you don't need and saves it
    as a text file.
    Travis Newbury, Aug 7, 2006
  6. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Thanks for all of the suggestions, but what I need is this:

    I want to type:

    This is a test

    Had it been an actual alert.

    And have the editor generate a text file with this:

    Notice that there is no header code, or any other code for a Web Page.

    I later when I need to change the text, which happens in almost all of
    the cases, I can load the text file that looks like this:

    and see this for editing purposes:

    This is a test

    Had it been an actual alert.

    If I change this to read

    This is a test

    Had it been an actual alert. This is a test.

    List
    - item 1
    - item 2
    - item 3

    the editor would generate this for me

    <ul>
    <li>- item 1</li>
    <li>- item 2</li>
    <li>- item 3</li>
    </ul>

    Notice I added a space after the period and the editor added the
    &nbsp; I also need simple html codes for lists, colors, headers,
    links and sometimes small tables. (By the way some of my code above
    may not be right. I just added it by way of illustration.)

    In other words what I need is a simple wysiwg editor that let's me
    concentrate on word processing or typing, and adds the code as I need
    it but does not try to generate code for a whole page.

    I know I can use NotePad and add the code by hand. It is just very
    tedious when I have 20 or so pages to add a night and have to update 5
    or 10 more. Typing 20 pages is bad enough without also doing the html
    code. I am hoping to find a way to automate this.

    Any thoughts?
    Best regards,

    TJ, Aug 7, 2006
  7. TJ

    David Segall Guest

    David Segall, Aug 7, 2006
  8. TJ

    David Segall Guest

    TJ <bscinc@Yahoo_NoSpam.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for all of the suggestions, but what I need is this:
    >
    >I want to type:
    >
    >This is a test
    >
    >Had it been an actual alert.
    >

    >And have the editor generate a text file with this:

    The editor you want does not exist. You will need to write it by
    adding a couple of (complicated) macros to an existing editor that
    read and write your files. I suspect that even specifying those macros
    will be extremely difficult because I cannot discern any rules that
    are embodied in your text. Try recording a macro in Word to see if
    that makes your life any easier. If it does then you can add Visual
    Basic code to handle some more difficult cases. The macro should save
    your file as text.
    David Segall, Aug 7, 2006