Searching PyPI?

Jeremy Fincher

I was just getting ready to write a module to search PyPI in order to
add the ability to search PyPI to my application, when I thought,
"Hey, this is the Python community's package index -- maybe someone's
already written a module to search PyPI."

So has anyone? A quick search of PyPI and http://vex.net/parnassus/
revealed nothing.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Michael Hudson

I was just getting ready to write a module to search PyPI in order to
add the ability to search PyPI to my application, when I thought,
"Hey, this is the Python community's package index -- maybe someone's
already written a module to search PyPI."

What does

http://www.python.org/pypi?:action=search_form

not provide? Are you just thinking of writing a front-end to that?

Cheers,
mwh

Jeremy Fincher

Michael Hudson said:
What does

http://www.python.org/pypi?:action=search_form

not provide? Are you just thinking of writing a front-end to that?

Sure, I could whip up some regexps to snag the information I need from
that. But that's usually pretty error-prone, and if someone else has
already written the code, I'd be happy to use it :)

It's by nice if PyPI provided some SOAP or xmlrpc server to support
requests, though... :)

Jeremy