Searching python-list and MySQL

Discussion in 'Python' started by Richard Brosnahan, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. I hate asking questions that have probably been answered before, but
    I have not found a way to conveniently search the archives of this
    mailing list.

    So...

    Can someone tell me how to search this mailing list, short of
    downloading every month's archive and searching manually?

    Or, can someone tell me how to easily interface with MySQL with
    python? I've successfully hooked python up with PostgreSQL, but this
    MySQL thing has been more difficult.

    I know about mysyql-python
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python.

    I would describe the requirements for building mysql-python as
    annoying. OK, if I'm building from scratch, the requirements are
    understandable. Still, annoying.

    I have a web server running SuSE that does not have MySQL installed,
    that I want to connect to a different server running MySQL. In order
    to create this python module, it appears I've got to create it on a
    server with mysql and mysql-devel, and various other items, and then
    move it to the web server.

    So I installed those items, reluctantly, on the web server and ran
    python2.4 setup.py build
    The script complained about a lot of things, including not finding
    mysql_config. I then added mysql_config to the PATH, and it generated
    a whole slew of other errors related to GCC. GCC is installed...

    Someone on this list MUST have solved this before...

    Can anyone provide me a hint? Is there a SuSE rpm, that doesn't spew
    out 400 dependency errors?

    I would very much appreciate any hints.

    tia

    --
    Richard Brosnahan
    Owner

    Silence is golden when you can’t think of a good answer.
    Muhammad Ali, boxer

    Richard Brosnahan, Apr 11, 2006

  2. >> Can someone tell me how to search this mailing list, short of
    >> downloading every month's archive and searching manually?

    Huh? How are you accessing it now?

    Just point your browser to:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python

    and look in the upper right hand corner where there's a box that says
    "Search This Group"

    rick

    BartlebyScrivener, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Oh, sorry, Richard,

    and to answer your question about Python and MySql, try searching on
    mxODBC, or better, search on "mxODBC Holden" as Steve Holden seems to
    answer every question on sql and Python.

    Hope that helps.

    rick

    BartlebyScrivener, Apr 11, 2006