Searching python-list and MySQL

Richard Brosnahan

I hate asking questions that have probably been answered before, but
I have not found a way to conveniently search the archives of this
mailing list.

So...

Can someone tell me how to search this mailing list, short of
downloading every month's archive and searching manually?

Or, can someone tell me how to easily interface with MySQL with
python? I've successfully hooked python up with PostgreSQL, but this
MySQL thing has been more difficult.

I know about mysyql-python
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python.

I would describe the requirements for building mysql-python as
annoying. OK, if I'm building from scratch, the requirements are
understandable. Still, annoying.

I have a web server running SuSE that does not have MySQL installed,
that I want to connect to a different server running MySQL. In order
to create this python module, it appears I've got to create it on a
server with mysql and mysql-devel, and various other items, and then
move it to the web server.

So I installed those items, reluctantly, on the web server and ran
python2.4 setup.py build
The script complained about a lot of things, including not finding
mysql_config. I then added mysql_config to the PATH, and it generated
a whole slew of other errors related to GCC. GCC is installed...

Someone on this list MUST have solved this before...

Can anyone provide me a hint? Is there a SuSE rpm, that doesn't spew
out 400 dependency errors?

I would very much appreciate any hints.

tia

--
Richard Brosnahan
Owner

Silence is golden when you can’t think of a good answer.
Muhammad Ali, boxer

BartlebyScrivener

Oh, sorry, Richard,

and to answer your question about Python and MySql, try searching on
mxODBC, or better, search on "mxODBC Holden" as Steve Holden seems to
answer every question on sql and Python.

Hope that helps.

rick