Secrets to bypassing Hotmail's junk folder

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by HB, May 8, 2006.

  1. HB

    HB Guest

    As many of us know, when we send legitimate emails to real customers from
    our apps, those emails often end up in the Hotmail (and MSN -- and AOL, too)
    junk folder. I've done a lot of testing with Hotmail, using different
    domain sender names, different sending IPs, different SMTP servers, etc.,
    different email text, and I still can't find out why Hotmail blocks so many
    good emails and throws them in the junk folder. The sending IP even has a
    domain name lookup record for the mail server on that IP. It seems to go
    to the junk folder more with plain text emails than HTML emails, from my
    testing. I even sent emails from Outlook, without code, to a hotmail
    account to test that, and I still often ended up in the junk folder.
    Nothing in my email text is typical of spam messages. Even simple things
    like pretending to ask a co-worker if they can join me at a meeting next
    week ended up in the junk folder.

    So I took some good email text that went through, and started to strip out
    sentences and characters until it failed (went to junk folder), and then
    tried adding back sentences and characters, etc. I found that you can
    write "Jim, [rest of email here]" and get through, but if you change it to
    "John, [rest of email here]", it fails. Same with other names. That makes
    no sense to me. Us ASP.NET developers should be able to personalize an
    email with a first name and get through without that affecting the results!
    I also found that sometimes adding a few garbage words or numbers actually
    made it go through. One email had a 4 digits number addition near the end,
    and it went through every time (whereas before the number it failed). But
    if I changed any one of the 4 digits to something else, it went to the junk
    folder. That almost suggests there is some algorithm like a MOD10 credit
    card checksum algorith that will purposely let an email go through???

    Is Hotmail (and the company that manages their filter) just trying to screw
    with us on purpose because soon they are going to charge 1 penny/email to
    senders if we want a guarantee of getting through the filter? If we don't
    work together here to figure these things out, we'll all be paying a penny
    per email soon just because they forced us, and not because of real spam
    reasons.

    I thought maybe some here might know how to get around some of these weird
    little things. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/findings?
    HB, May 8, 2006

  2. That's some amazing analysis. It certainly sounds like Hotmail is clueless
    about filtering.

    I've come to believe that charging that 1 cent will eliminate almost all of
    the junk email I get. Since I only send a few dozen per day, it'd be a good
    trade off -- I spend more than .25 of my time clearing junk.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNB?=, May 8, 2006

  3. HB

    HB Guest

    If they actually had junk filters that work well, both companies and
    consumers could be happy, and without charging 1 cent each. Let me remind
    you that companies will have to pass that cost along somehow.

    I'd sure like to hear of any suggestions if someone here has learned some
    good tips.

    HB, May 8, 2006
  4. I do agree. I've just given up on expecting a good filter. They block the
    wrong stuff and let the junk thru.
    Authentication of the sender would also probably work -- and not cost
    anything. This seems to be generating more interest.

    -- Chris
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNB?=, May 9, 2006
  5. HB

    V Guest

    I am not sure if my comment is off-topic, but has anyone done any such
    analysis on Gmail?? I hardly ever et spam in my inbox (and very few of
    my legitimate mail ends up in the Spam folder).

    I don't use hotmail, so can't tell my experience there.

    This is an interesting discussion, and I won't mind being part of it,
    but I wonder if this belongs to another forum :)

    If there is anyone who wants to start a thread, I would be willing to
    contribute some of my time to do more analysis.

    Regards,
    Vaibhav
    V, May 9, 2006
  6. HB

    HB Guest

    I have tested with gmail and most emails do not go to the junk folder. They
    handle it much better than Microsoft.

    << If there is anyone who wants to start a thread, I would be willing to
    contribute some of my time to do more analysis.>>

    Didn't I start such a thread? :) I guess I am misunderstanding your point
    here.

    Yes, I would love to see anyone do some testing, too, and post their results
    and learned tricks.

    HB, May 9, 2006
  7. re:
    > If there is anyone who wants to start a thread, I would be willing to contribute some of my time
    > to do more analysis.

    Please limit the discussions in this newsgroup to ASP.NET-related issues.

    Thank you for your cooperation.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 9, 2006
  8. HB

    V Guest

    To answer both the posts from HB and Juan....

    I have mentioned in my post that this thread is not a suitable forum
    for this topic. (Please read my post)...

    So HB - this is my meaning when i say start a thread - Start a thread
    somewhere suitable.

    And Juan - I agree that this is not the place for such a topic

    :)

    Regards,
    Vaibhav
    V, May 9, 2006
  9. HB

    HB Guest

    I'm not opposed to starting a thread somewhere else, if someone wants to
    provide a suggested group, but... I must disagree that this is the wrong
    place. The issue here is about sending email from ASP.NET, in batches, to
    customers, through code. As someone who has helped hundreds of other people
    in this group, I would expect some leniency. I know the issue is more about
    the business issues, but who is faced with this issue? ASP.NET developers
    being asked to send emails to customers! This is the group of people
    affected by this issue. How do we solve the issues? By implementing
    specific tricks through code to bypass the spam filters. So, some posts
    may be 100% compatible with the group, but this post is still a good 70%
    compatible. And considering is already here, please don't simply dismiss
    it. Do you know an ASP.NET developer who doesn't send emails from code to
    customers or website visitors? I don't.

    "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message
    > re:
    >> If there is anyone who wants to start a thread, I would be willing to
    >> contribute some of my time to do more analysis.

    > Please limit the discussions in this newsgroup to ASP.NET-related issues.
    >
    > Thank you for your cooperation.
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > ===================================
    > "HB" <> wrote in message
    >>I have tested with gmail and most emails do not go to the junk folder.
    >>They handle it much better than Microsoft.
    >>
    >> << If there is anyone who wants to start a thread, I would be willing to
    >> contribute some of my time to do more analysis.>>
    >>
    >> Didn't I start such a thread? :) I guess I am misunderstanding your
    >> point here.
    >>
    >> Yes, I would love to see anyone do some testing, too, and post their
    >> results and learned tricks.

    >> "V" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am not sure if my comment is off-topic, but has anyone done any such
    >>> analysis on Gmail?? I hardly ever et spam in my inbox (and very few of
    >>> my legitimate mail ends up in the Spam folder).
    >>>
    >>> I don't use hotmail, so can't tell my experience there.
    >>>
    >>> This is an interesting discussion, and I won't mind being part of it,
    >>> but I wonder if this belongs to another forum :)
    >>>
    >>> If there is anyone who wants to start a thread, I would be willing to
    >>> contribute some of my time to do more analysis.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Vaibhav

    HB, May 9, 2006
  10. HB,

    Nobody can stop you from posting about whatever you want to post about.

    That having been said, there isn't any *code* answer which will solve your problem.
    Your problem is an issue of the *content* you include in your emails, not a code issue.

    re:
    > How do we solve the issues? By implementing specific tricks through code to bypass the spam
    > filters.

    There's *nothing* you could change in *code* to achieve your goal.

    Your mails are sent and delivered by ASP.NET, and there's no code which you could change
    to make Hotmail, Gmail, MSN or AOL accept content which their rules classify as "spammish".

    This is not a question of "leniency", since these groups are peer-to-peer,
    and monitored by MSFT only for SPAM, which your thread clearly is not.

    However, the purpose of this newsgroup is to provide a venue
    for peers to help each other solve ASP.NET *code* issues.

    After sounding out the developers here, as you have done, please try to find a more suitable
    venue to discuss circumventing mail server content rules so that your emails aren't rejected.

    If you do find a way to circumvent the problem through code, though, please let us all know.
    We are always looking for code solutions to programming problems.

    This issue doesn't seem to be a programming problem, though.

    Juan T. Llibre, May 9, 2006
  11. HB

    HB Guest

    While I appreciate you acknowleding that you're not the police of the group,
    I still must respectfully disagree. Absent someone else suggesting a better
    group, I'll continue here and would appreciate others doing the same.

    1) This forum is NOT strictly for coding issues. If people want to discuss
    a licensing question for ASP.NET, they can do that here. I've answered many
    such questions for people here.

    2) This issue affects most everyone who participates in this group, because
    most everyone here sends emails from ASP.NET.

    3) I do believe there are coding issues that can help. As I noted, sending
    an HTML email had different results. Changing header information may help.
    Setting a TXT record on the DNS server has implications. The "to" display
    name that you set with a .NET property has implications. There are real
    technical issues here besides just the raw letters in the email body.

    C'mon people, let's focus on the real issue. We're all affected. If anyone
    else wants to do testing, you'll see what I mean. It's a good brain teaser
    at best.

    HB, May 10, 2006
  12. re:
    > I still must respectfully disagree.

    To me, the problem seems to be content-related but, hey, what do I know ?

    It will be interesting to see what kind of response you get from others,
    particularly as to whether the answer to the problem is in the coding.

    Juan T. Llibre, May 10, 2006
  13. HB

    V Guest

    Err... So back to discussion then. How do you propose we do this? How
    about putting together a more structures list of test cases which we
    can run with various service providers (gmail, hotmail, etc.) and then
    executing those test cases against each and then publishing the
    results??

    - Vaibhav
    V, May 10, 2006
  14. HB

    HB Guest

    Sounds good to me.

    HB, May 10, 2006
  15. HB

    V Guest

    Why don't we start by you listing all the tests that you did (in a
    point form), then I can carry those out for Gmail, and publish the
    result.

    - V
    V, May 10, 2006
  16. HB

    davidonlaptop

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    SenderID Technology

    Hello All,

    According to this Forum, you have to use the SenderID Technology to resolve the problem.

    I am going to try this way and post here if it works.
    davidonlaptop, Mar 20, 2007
  17. HB

    revmakx_soft

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Hello,

    All what ever be the mail content the hotmail filters the emails with the header option. Once you have a perfect header you can stop hotmail from putting you into junk

    http://www.revmakx.com/softwares/mailing.html take a look at this script and you can take a demo as well.

    If you need more info you can mail me at

    Thanks
    Revmakx
    revmakx_soft, Aug 2, 2007