Secure delete with python

Michael George Lerner

Andrew Dalke said:
Ville said:
Seriously? What OSen are known for [writing new content at
another location of the disk]? I'd had thought that if
the file size is unchanged, the data is always written over the old
data...
It can even be filesystem specific. Back in the days
of WORM drives (do people still use those?)

I know that some government agencies were still using them as recently
as a couple of years ago .. there were some regulations that said that
you had to keep undeletable backups of everything. I think your choice
was basically between a warehouse full of file cabinets and a WORM
drive or two.

-michael

Alex Martelli

Michael George Lerner said:
Andrew Dalke said:
Ville said:
Seriously? What OSen are known for [writing new content at
another location of the disk]? I'd had thought that if
the file size is unchanged, the data is always written over the old
data...
It can even be filesystem specific. Back in the days
of WORM drives (do people still use those?)

I know that some government agencies were still using them as recently
as a couple of years ago .. there were some regulations that said that
you had to keep undeletable backups of everything. I think your choice
was basically between a warehouse full of file cabinets and a WORM
drive or two.

....or much-cheaper CD-R (not -RW) disks...? Not sure about how well
they'll age, but they're write-once, read-many, too, and cheap (besides,
they don't cost much...;-).

Alex

Joined
May 28, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Boris Genc <boris.genc@REMOVE_mindless_ME.com> writes:
> I'm interested in something which is able to securely wipe data (from
> single file to bunch of MB's), and that should run both on Linux and
> Windows.

I wrote something like that:
#NIGHTSONGLINK

Explanation at: #tinyurlLink

the link to your explanation does not seem to be working. Can you provide a complete link? thank you!