secure multiplayer using python?

Discussion in 'Python' started by flamesrock, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. flamesrock

    flamesrock Guest

    How would YOU implement the system described below?

    -many client program instances connect to a central file+db server
    -all files on server (this directory) read-only by default to all
    users, AND public
    -client mirrors files on central server
    -each client can 'claim' files on the server, which they have rw access
    -over time intervals the client program checks to see if claimed files
    on the client machine has been modified, and if so uploads to the
    server, overwriting the old

    I've heard terms like openssl and pgp thrown around, but how would I
    implement these in python..?

    Currently I am handing out ftp user/pass to each client program (hidden
    from user) which they use for access, but if they mess around with the
    code, it would be easy to snag this info, then log in and just delete
    the entire file repository. I would like to keep the ftp
    implementation, but make it so that users cannot get this information..
    but obviously that is impossible.

    What would you do? What is the most secure way?
    This will probably be re-written from scratch, so go wild!!

    -Thanks,
    flamesrock
    flamesrock, Nov 20, 2006