    I´m planning to write a windows application using the .net framework. is
    there any way to secure the application so the user can´t easily disassemble
    and manipulate the application?
    Achim Kühn, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Achim Kühn

    Jeff B. Guest

    > I´m planning to write a windows application using the .net framework. is
    > there any way to secure the application so the user can´t easily

    disassemble
    > and manipulate the application?

    Visual Studio .NET 2003 ships with a the "Community" version of Dotfuscator
    (Tools-->Dotfuscator Community Edition). This is a utility that will
    obfuscate your IL code (i.e. make if very difficult to decipher once it's
    been decompiled). There are other obfuscators available for .NET as well.

    --
    Thanks, Jeff
    Jeff B., Dec 17, 2003

  3. Achim Kühn

    Mary Chipman Guest

    If you don't want users to "manipulate" your application, strong-name
    it. See "Creating and Using Strong-Named Assemblies" in the help file.
    That won't prevent them from reading the msil (obfuscation does that),
    but it will prevent them from impersonating your app or introducing
    hostile code.

    -- Mary
    MCW Technologies
    http://www.mcwtech.com