Secure Page/Reg/Login Process Flow

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Guest, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Which of these scenarios is better:

    User Registers and is returned to the login screen to test his new username
    ie (email address). A login script checks user name against database.
    and asigns him a cookie id with an expiration date 30 days in the future
    from Date(Now). He is automaticaly redirected to his initial requested
    target URL.

    User registers and is immediately sent to the Page he initially requested.
    At the registration page a cookie is also initialized with an expiration
    date and his prospsect database id.

    A? or B?

    Secure Page
    -------------
    Test for cookies Enablment/Turned On

    (Yes)
    If cookie present, test for Cookie Prospect ID.
    No - Send back to login page
    Yes - Depost Current URL in the UserPath table...Now let him view page

    (No)
    1. A. Send User to [A] Login Screen and force him to login.

    Or

    2. Inform him he can go no further until he enables cookies.

    Sorry if this seems obvious, but I am concerned about where I place the
    burden of the database code (sql server Sps) and where exactly I should
    initialize the cookies and what I should do exactly to degrade appliation if
    user does not have cookies.

    Thanks
    Jason
    Guest, Aug 7, 2004