Secure Server - What Does It Take?

Jeremy S.

What does it take to make a Web server a "secure server"?

I need to serve some images from my IIS6 server and they must be accessible
via https.

I have never set up a server to work with https.

How can I accomplish this? Where do I start?

Thanks

Web Team @ Borough of Poole

Hi Jeremy,

Its quite a simple process, detailed here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...indows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iisslsc.htm

You need to purchase a certificate at some point, I recently used
Verisign:
http://www.verisign.com/products-services/security-services/ssl/index.html
(There are other vendors out there).

Verigisn offer a trial certificate for free - Good if you want to have
a play:
http://www.verisign.com/products-services/security-services/ssl/buy-ssl-certificates/free-trial/

Once you've got the certificate installed, simply link to the content
which needs to transported via SSL by using HTTPS// instead of HTTP://

You may want to configure the server to ensure that the content is ONLY
accessible via SSL. I'm pretty sure this is possible, although I've
never tried it myself.

HTH! :)

Simon.