Securing a server side directory

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dave Kelly, Apr 18, 2009.

  1. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    This was also posted on 'alt.www.webmaster' please answer in that
    group. Thanks

    I want to create a webpage that everyone can read but only those with
    a password can post.

    How would be the best way to do that?

    Would putting the application to post in a protected directory and
    the application to display in a public directory work. Maybe I am
    asking can you make a directory on the server public read and private
    post. Will cross see/show work?

    I need to keep this very simple. I would like it be be simular to a
    cookbook/recipe type of thing. It is for the club members to post
    pictures and instructions on the fly patterens they tie. I want it to
    be world viewable but only club members with a password can post.

    The members of this fly fishing club are really not interested in
    computers. They are older and a computer is a tool to use for work or
    communications. If you can't squirt some oil in it to fix it they are
    at a loss. Their interests lay in fishing and good wine and trophy
    wives (probable someone elses).

    I am getting up in years and need to leave something easy to
    administer when I go.

    If you can help with this information it will be appreciated.

    Dave

    Dave Kelly, Apr 18, 2009

  2. Dave Kelly

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 18 Apr 2009, Dave Kelly <> wrote:

    > This was also posted on 'alt.www.webmaster' please answer in that
    > group. Thanks

    Yeah, sure. I read it here but I'm going to make a special visit to
    alt.www.webwhatever where I'm not even subscribed yet to reply. But
    don't fret; you're not the first idiosyncratist to suggest similar
    dumbery.

    > I want to create a webpage that everyone can read but only those
    > with a password can post.
    >
    > How would be the best way to do that?

    Simplest way is to use a form, post data, and server script with secure
    password recognition.

    > (snip)
    > The members of this fly fishing club are really not interested in
    > computers.

    That's ok. I'm not interested in fish flies. (-'Didn't even realize
    they had them...)

    > I am getting up in years and need to leave something easy to
    > administer when I go.

    Then keep your will simple.

    > If you can help with this information it will be appreciated.

    Not here it won't (-according to you.)

    > Dave

    Brubeck?

    --
    Neredbojias
    People who live in glass houses must feel funny peeing.

    Neredbojias, Apr 19, 2009

  3. Dave Kelly wrote:

    > This was also posted on 'alt.www.webmaster' please answer in that
    > group. Thanks

    Please learn what cross-posting is .. and then don't use it very often.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 19, 2009