Securing a server side directory

Dave Kelly

This was also posted on 'alt.www.webmaster' please answer in that
group. Thanks

I want to create a webpage that everyone can read but only those with
a password can post.

How would be the best way to do that?

Would putting the application to post in a protected directory and
the application to display in a public directory work. Maybe I am
asking can you make a directory on the server public read and private
post. Will cross see/show work?

I need to keep this very simple. I would like it be be simular to a
cookbook/recipe type of thing. It is for the club members to post
pictures and instructions on the fly patterens they tie. I want it to
be world viewable but only club members with a password can post.

The members of this fly fishing club are really not interested in
computers. They are older and a computer is a tool to use for work or
communications. If you can't squirt some oil in it to fix it they are
at a loss. Their interests lay in fishing and good wine and trophy
wives (probable someone elses).

I am getting up in years and need to leave something easy to
administer when I go.

If you can help with this information it will be appreciated.

Dave

Neredbojias

This was also posted on 'alt.www.webmaster' please answer in that
group. Thanks

Yeah, sure. I read it here but I'm going to make a special visit to
alt.www.webwhatever where I'm not even subscribed yet to reply. But
don't fret; you're not the first idiosyncratist to suggest similar
dumbery.
I want to create a webpage that everyone can read but only those
with a password can post.

How would be the best way to do that?

Simplest way is to use a form, post data, and server script with secure
password recognition.
(snip)
The members of this fly fishing club are really not interested in
computers.

That's ok. I'm not interested in fish flies. (-'Didn't even realize
they had them...)
I am getting up in years and need to leave something easy to
administer when I go.

Then keep your will simple.
If you can help with this information it will be appreciated.

Not here it won't (-according to you.)

Brubeck?