security error

Ersin Gençtürk

onk= -> why this string causes security errors ? it is'nt "<" neighter ">"
??

Brock Allen

This security check is done on postback data because that syntax could be
a cross site scripting attack, which means a malicious user posts <script>
blocks (and perhas other bad things). The typical problem is that most web
apps don't escape the post data when it's then showed back to other users.
This means the script gets executed in someone else's browser and it could
do things like steal cookies. Google for cross site scripting to learn more.

You can disable this security check via validateRequest="false":

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gngrfpagessection.asp

Ersin Gençtürk

hi brock ,

I know about cross site scripting but it should check "<" or ">" but why
this phrase "onk=" causes an error ? try it.

Brock Allen

Yeah, I see that.... Well, the validate request feature is not going to catch
everything and it's just doing rough checks. So, you can disable the page
check and do your own.

BTW, this input is allowed in ASP.NET 2.0. The implementation of the validation
has changed slightly to not be do restrictive.

Ersin Gençtürk

ok.but my question was why this happens ? I know it is causing error.But is
it a bug? Because it is not a dangereous request for an web application. I
wonder if is it an encoded character resulting "<" character or what ?

Brock Allen

The implementation in v1.1 is fairly restrictive and in v2.0 it's changed.
So perhaps it was a bug and it's fixed in v2.0. I don't know the dev that
worked on it, so I can't say for sure.