Security Exception in simple (no file accessing) Applets?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andre M. Maier, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Hi Java Programmers,

    so far, I haven't seen any problems running my applets on Netscape 4.7
    (Unix) and IE 4.0 (Windows 2000). However, since I have upgraded to Internet
    Explorer 5.50, the same applets do no longer get initialized due to the
    security exception below. The funny thing is that none of the applets contain
    any code accessing files locally or on the server. Even a simple "Hello World"
    applet cannot be started.

    The security exception occurs in both cases, when accessing the applet on the
    server or from my local drive.

    Has anyone seen something like this? What could cause this problem?

    Regards,

    Andre

    java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission read)
    at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(Unknown Source)
    at java.io.File.exists(Unknown Source)
    at sun.net.www.protocol.file.Handler.openConnection(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URL.openConnection(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Andre M. Maier, Dec 3, 2003