Security Exception in TslStream.EndRead

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Will Holley, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. Will Holley

    Will Holley Guest

    We are hosting a .net winforms usercontrol within IE6 which makes POST and
    GET calls to a webserver using httpwebrequest. This was working fine until
    we changed our authentication mechanism in IIS to require client
    certificates. I can fetch the certificate in the user control ok and this is
    being attached to the request. i.e.:

    ServicePointManager.CertificatePolicy = new TrustAllCertificatePolicy();

    HttpWebRequest request = WebRequest.Create(remoteUri) as HttpWebRequest;
    request.Headers = new WebHeaderCollection();
    request.KeepAlive = false;
    request.ProtocolVersion = HttpVersion.Version10;
    request.Proxy = WebProxy.GetDefaultProxy();
    request.AllowAutoRedirect = true;
    request.MaximumAutomaticRedirections = 10;
    request.Timeout = (int) new TimeSpan(0, 0, 60).TotalMilliseconds;

    CertificateStore store = new CertificateStore();

    X509Certificate cert = store.GetValidApplicationCertificate();
    request.ClientCertificates.Add(cert);

    request.Method = "GET";

    WebResponse response = request.GetResponse();

    When this last line is called, I get an error:

    Could not establish secure channel for SSL/TLS. --->
    System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type
    System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib,
    Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 failed.
    at System.Net.TlsStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.Net.Connection.ReadCallback(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus()
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

    This looks like the error described in KB823177 but installing all the
    latest patches does not help.

    Does anybody have any suggestions as to how we might fix this as I'm stumped!
    Will Holley, Oct 12, 2005

  2. Hi Willholley,

    Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
    From your description ,you're developed a winform user control which use
    WebRequest component to request a SSL protected remote services. However,
    when executing in client page in IE browser, you're getting some exception
    at the end of the request, yes?

    From the exception information, it seems a secuirty permission issue. I'd
    suggest you first try turn off the .net CodeAccess Security on the client
    machine (or grant the control assembly full trust) and run the page again
    to see whether the control can work correctly. Thus, we can confirm whether
    this is a security issue.

    Also, for IE hosted winform control developing, you can turn on the IE host
    log to see whether you can get any more detailed clues from it.

    #HOW TO: Use the IEHost Log to Debug .NET Object Hosting in Internet
    Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313892

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 13, 2005

  3. Hi Willholley,

    How are you doing on this issue, does the suggestion in my last reply helps
    you a little or have you got any progress?
    if there're any thing else we can help, please feel free to post here.

> [...]

    this
    | is
    | | being attached to the request. i.e.:
    | |
    | | ServicePointManager.CertificatePolicy = new TrustAllCertificatePolicy();
    | |
    | | HttpWebRequest request = WebRequest.Create(remoteUri) as HttpWebRequest;
    | | request.Headers = new WebHeaderCollection();
    | | request.KeepAlive = false;
    | | request.ProtocolVersion = HttpVersion.Version10;
    | | request.Proxy = WebProxy.GetDefaultProxy();
    | | request.AllowAutoRedirect = true;
    | | request.MaximumAutomaticRedirections = 10;
    | | request.Timeout = (int) new TimeSpan(0, 0, 60).TotalMilliseconds;
    | |
    | | CertificateStore store = new CertificateStore();
    | |
    | | X509Certificate cert = store.GetValidApplicationCertificate();
    | |
    | | WebResponse response = request.GetResponse();
    | |
    | | When this last line is called, I get an error:
    | |
    | | Could not establish secure channel for SSL/TLS. --->
    | | System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type
    | | System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib,
    | | Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
    | failed.
    | | at System.Net.TlsStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    | | at System.Net.Connection.ReadCallback(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    | | --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    | | at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus()
    | | at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    | | at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
    | |
    | | This looks like the error described in KB823177 but installing all the
    | | latest patches does not help.
    | |
    | | Does anybody have any suggestions as to how we might fix this as I'm
    | stumped!
    | |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 17, 2005
  4. Will Holley

    Will Holley Guest

    Steven,

    Thanks for the reply - I have been away for the last 10 days so havent had a
    chance to look into this issue again until now.

    After turning off caspol I now get a 401 unauthorized exception. I am sure
    the certificate is correct (as it is the only one in the store and works for
    the same uri when i try to access it from IE6).

    Will

    Will Holley, Oct 26, 2005
  5. Will Holley

    Will Holley Guest

    Steven,

    Ignore the last post - it was a config issure in IIS. I now have the code
    working perfectly with caspol off but turning on caspol gives me the
    securitypermission exception again.

    Will

    Will Holley, Oct 26, 2005
  6. Thanks for your followup Will,

    So it is still a security issue. Have you tried the IE host log to see
    whether it provide any further info on the security exception?

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIb2xsZXk=?=" <>
    | Subject: RE: Security Exception in TslStream.EndRead
    | Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 05:19:01 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    |
    | Steven,
    |
    | Ignore the last post - it was a config issure in IIS. I now have the code
    | working perfectly with caspol off but turning on caspol gives me the
    | securitypermission exception again.
    |
    | Will
    |
    | "Will Holley" wrote:
    |
    | > Steven,
    | >
    | > Thanks for the reply - I have been away for the last 10 days so havent
    had a
    | > chance to look into this issue again until now.
    | >
    | > After turning off caspol I now get a 401 unauthorized exception. I am
    sure
    | > the certificate is correct (as it is the only one in the store and
    works for
    | > the same uri when i try to access it from IE6).
    | >
    | > Will
    | >
    | > "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    | >
    | > > Hi Willholley,
    | > >
    | > > How are you doing on this issue, does the suggestion in my last reply
    helps
    | > > you a little or have you got any progress?
    | > > if there're any thing else we can help, please feel free to post here.
    | > >
    | > > Thanks,
    | > >
    | > > Steven Cheng
    | > > Microsoft Online Support
    | > >
    | > > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    | > > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    | > > rights.)
    | > > --------------------
    However,
    | > > exception
    | > > |
    | > > whether
    | > > |
    IE
    | > > host
    | > > |
    Internet
    | > > |
    | > > |
    | > > |
    POST
    | > > this
    | > > | |
    TrustAllCertificatePolicy();
    | > > | |
    HttpWebRequest;
    | > > | |
    | > > | |
    | > > | |
    | > > | |
    PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
    | > > | |
    | > > | |
    I'm
    | > > | |
    | > > |
    | > > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 27, 2005
  7. Will Holley

    Will Holley Guest

    Steven,

    The IEHost log unfortunately provides no clue. It looks to me as thought the
    security exception is happening in the framework code which we have no
    control over. We assert the appropriate permissions to make the web request
    but since the callback within the framework implementation is asynchronous
    how would it get the permissions to execute in a partially trusted
    environment? Peeking in with reflector, I see no evidence of permission
    demands or asserts within TLSStream.EndRead.

    Will

    Will Holley, Oct 27, 2005
  8. Thanks for the response Will,

    That'll be very hard to thoublshoot. What's the current permission set you
    grant to that control's assembly, FullTrust?
    Also, due to the limitation of newsgroup, I'd recommend you consider
    contacting PSS for further detailed troubleshooting if you feel this a high
    priority issue.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 31, 2005
  9. Will Holley

    Will Holley Guest

    Steven,

    Yes we are giving the assembly full trust - it looks completely symptomatic
    of the bug in KB836989 - not KB823177 as i originally posted!

    Will

    Will Holley, Oct 31, 2005
  10. Hi Will,

    Yes, from the symptom of your problem , it is quite exactly the problem in
    the KB article. So if necessary, you can submit a PSS support incident on
    your problem and also refer to the KB article. If that's still the same
    issue of the one in the kb, they shall help you fixed it (or maybe a
    certain hot fix needed) by free.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIb2xsZXk=?=" <>
    | Subject: RE: Security Exception in TslStream.EndRead
    | Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 03:16:05 -0800
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    |
    | Steven,
    |
    | Yes we are giving the assembly full trust - it looks completely
    symptomatic
    | of the bug in KB836989 - not KB823177 as i originally posted!
    |
    | Will
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    |
    | > Thanks for the response Will,
    | >
    | > That'll be very hard to thoublshoot. What's the current permission set
    you
    | > grant to that control's assembly, FullTrust?
    | > Also, due to the limitation of newsgroup, I'd recommend you consider
    | > contacting PSS for further detailed troubleshooting if you feel this a
    high
    | > priority issue.
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | >

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIb2xsZXk=?=" <>
    | > | Subject: RE: Security Exception in TslStream.EndRead
    | > | Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 05:45:08 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    | > |
    | > | Steven,
    | > |
    | > | The IEHost log unfortunately provides no clue. It looks to me as
    thought
    | > the
    | > | security exception is happening in the framework code which we have
    no
    | > | control over. We assert the appropriate permissions to make the web
    | > request
    | > | but since the callback within the framework implementation is
    | > asynchronous
    | > | how would it get the permissions to execute in a partially trusted
    | > | environment? Peeking in with reflector, I see no evidence of
    permission
    | > | demands or asserts within TLSStream.EndRead.
    | > |
    | > | Will
    | > |
    | > | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
> [...]