    1. Advertising

  2. thedarkman

    Ray_Net Guest

    Ray_Net, May 1, 2014

  3. Allodoxaphobia, May 2, 2014
  4. thedarkman

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Fri, 2 May 2014 00:39:22 +0200, Ray_Net wrote:
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> read this if you use it:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/16973549-us-government-warns-internet-explorer-users

    > > Patch released, donwloaded and just installed today.

    > Yabutt. I wouldn't use IE anyway; unless someone started pulling
    > my fingernails out. Hell, I don't use _any_ MS product here.....
    > For once the gov'mint issues some sound advice.

    I am using SeaMonkey for my browser BUT sometimes a site cannot be used with this
    browser, so i am very happy to use IE11 ...
    Ray_Net, May 2, 2014
  5. Ray_Net wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> On Fri, 2 May 2014 00:39:22 +0200, Ray_Net wrote:
    >>> says...

    >>> Patch released, donwloaded and just installed today.

    >> Yabutt. I wouldn't use IE anyway; unless someone started pulling
    >> my fingernails out. Hell, I don't use _any_ MS product here.....
    >> For once the gov'mint issues some sound advice.

    > I am using SeaMonkey for my browser BUT sometimes a site cannot be used with this
    > browser, so i am very happy to use IE11 ...

    I keep hearing of these "magical" sites but have not encountered one in
    nearly 10 years...and those where just poorly done hacks using the
    uber-web-development-tool MS Publishers. I stop IE use after a few
    months with IE4. And no IE on my other systems running Ubuntu.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, May 2, 2014
  6. thedarkman

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <lk0qqh$k69$>, says...

    > Ray_Net wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> Yabutt. I wouldn't use IE anyway; unless someone started pulling
    > >> my fingernails out. Hell, I don't use _any_ MS product here.....
    > >> For once the gov'mint issues some sound advice.

    > > I am using SeaMonkey for my browser BUT sometimes a site cannot be used with this
    > > browser, so i am very happy to use IE11 ...
    > >

    > I keep hearing of these "magical" sites but have not encountered one in
    > nearly 10 years...

    I am not so lucky.

    > and those where just poorly done hacks using the
    > uber-web-development-tool MS Publishers.

    Not all those bad sites uses MS publishers.

    And, when i contact the webmaster he say:
    "I don't care; Use IE !".
    Ray_Net, May 2, 2014
  7. Ray_Net wrote:
    > And, when i contact the webmaster he say:
    > "I don't care; Use IE !".

    I don't return...that fixes the problem. So will others. Not the best
    business plan...look at the "fan mail" that Intuit gets on their support
    forums when their *web apps* needlessly block access from Linux. Proven
    to be bogus with a useragent change.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 3, 2014
  8. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ray_Net <> wrote:

    > > I keep hearing of these "magical" sites but have not encountered one in
    > > nearly 10 years...

    > I am not so lucky.

    Show details of your bad luck.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 3, 2014
  9. On Sat, 03 May 2014 09:26:26 +1000, dorayme wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Ray_Net <> wrote:
    >
    >> > I keep hearing of these "magical" sites but have not encountered one
    >> > in nearly 10 years...

    >> I am not so lucky.

    > Show details of your bad luck.

    I found one of these sites once. It was configured to deliver broken css
    to non msie user agents. This was in the late 90s.

    So I told netscape to pretend it was msie and the page rendered fine.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, May 3, 2014
  10. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <lk2ocu$fjc$>,
    Denis McMahon <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 May 2014 09:26:26 +1000, dorayme wrote:

    > >> I am not so lucky.

    > > Show details of your bad luck.

    > I found one of these sites once. It was configured to deliver broken css
    > to non msie user agents. This was in the late 90s.
    >
    > So I told netscape to pretend it was msie and the page rendered fine.

    I must say, I can't recall a case of being unable to see a site,
    however crummy, somehow without IE. But I believe you.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 3, 2014
  11. thedarkman

    Neil Gould Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Ray_Net wrote:
    >> And, when i contact the webmaster he say:
    >> "I don't care; Use IE !".

    > I don't return...that fixes the problem. So will others. Not the best
    > business plan...look at the "fan mail" that Intuit gets on their
    > support forums when their *web apps* needlessly block access from
    > Linux. Proven to be bogus with a useragent change.

    If every Linux user refused to visit a site, it would make little to no
    difference to the business. OTOH, if their site fails with IE, the business
    would feel it. The simple fact is, the most successful sites function with
    the browsers and devices that represent the largest market share.
    --
    best regards,

    Neil
    Neil Gould, May 3, 2014
  12. Neil Gould wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Ray_Net wrote:
    >>> And, when i contact the webmaster he say:
    >>> "I don't care; Use IE !".

    >> I don't return...that fixes the problem. So will others. Not the best
    >> business plan...look at the "fan mail" that Intuit gets on their
    >> support forums when their *web apps* needlessly block access from
    >> Linux. Proven to be bogus with a useragent change.
    >>

    > If every Linux user refused to visit a site, it would make little to no
    > difference to the business. OTOH, if their site fails with IE, the business
    > would feel it. The simple fact is, the most successful sites function with
    > the browsers and devices that represent the largest market share.

    You can certainly guaranty your metric with a policy of exclusion.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 3, 2014
  13. On Sat, 03 May 2014 22:55:42 +1000, dorayme wrote:

    > In article <lk2ocu$fjc$>,
    > Denis McMahon <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 03 May 2014 09:26:26 +1000, dorayme wrote:

    >> > Show details of your bad luck.

    >> I found one of these sites once. It was configured to deliver broken
    >> css to non msie user agents. This was in the late 90s.
    >>
    >> So I told netscape to pretend it was msie and the page rendered fine.

    > I must say, I can't recall a case of being unable to see a site,
    > however crummy, somehow without IE. But I believe you.

    As I said, I've only found one such site since I started using browsers
    in late 94, and that had been (mis?) configured to send broken css to non
    msie browsers.

    And the site worked perfectly on netscape navigator if you sent an msie
    user agent string.

    I find it hard to believe that nowadays there are any sites out there
    that will only work with ie and not opera / chrome / firefox / safari
    that haven't been deliberately frigged to be only msie compatible.

    And anyone who thinks that they only need to support one web browser on a
    public site probably needs their head examined anyway.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, May 3, 2014
  14. On Sat, 03 May 2014 08:44:12 -0500, Neil Gould wrote:

    > If every Linux user refused to visit a site, it would make little to no
    > difference to the business. OTOH, if their site fails with IE, the
    > business would feel it. The simple fact is, the most successful sites
    > function with the browsers and devices that represent the largest market
    > share.

    That's probably not msie, and it's probably running on a mobile device.

    And when the largest market share is less than 20% of the total market,
    you have to ask yourself is just supporting the most popular client is
    really a sound strategy.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, May 3, 2014
  15. thedarkman

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <lk18pr$ng3$>, says...

    > Ray_Net wrote:
    > > And, when i contact the webmaster he say:
    > > "I don't care; Use IE !".

    > I don't return...that fixes the problem.

    Sorry, but i need this site, so i cannot ignore it.
    IE is THE only solution.
    Ray_Net, May 3, 2014
  16. Ray_Net wrote:
    > In article <lk18pr$ng3$>, says...
    >>
    >> Ray_Net wrote:
    >>> And, when i contact the webmaster he say:
    >>> "I don't care; Use IE !".

    >> I don't return...that fixes the problem.

    > Sorry, but i need this site, so i cannot ignore it.
    > IE is THE only solution.

    Which site? So they tell you which OS you must use as well, are they
    getting a kick back from MS? Will they pay your Windows license fee?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 3, 2014
  17. Neil Gould wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Neil Gould wrote:

    >>> If every Linux user refused to visit a site, it would make little to
    >>> no difference to the business. OTOH, if their site fails with IE,
    >>> the business would feel it. The simple fact is, the most successful
    >>> sites function with the browsers and devices that represent the
    >>> largest market share.
    >>>

    >> You can certainly guaranty your metric with a policy of exclusion.
    >>

    > Yes, one can often afford to exclude the irrelevant... ;-)

    You have heard of smart phones? The number that run Windows is
    irrelevant. Just one metric to consider.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 4, 2014
  18. thedarkman

    Neil Gould Guest

    Denis McMahon wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 May 2014 08:44:12 -0500, Neil Gould wrote:
    >
    >> If every Linux user refused to visit a site, it would make little to
    >> no difference to the business. OTOH, if their site fails with IE, the
    >> business would feel it. The simple fact is, the most successful sites
    >> function with the browsers and devices that represent the largest
    >> market share.

    > That's probably not msie, and it's probably running on a mobile
    > device.
    >
    > And when the largest market share is less than 20% of the total
    > market, you have to ask yourself is just supporting the most popular
    > client is really a sound strategy.

    Please note that my statement uses the plural, "browser*s* and device*s*".
    In that context, if your statement was, "most popular client*s*" instead of
    the singular, I'd say that it's a good strategy.
    --
    best regards,

    Neil
    Neil Gould, May 4, 2014
  19. thedarkman

    Neil Gould Guest

    Neil Gould, May 4, 2014
  20. thedarkman

    se Guest

    "Neil Gould" <> skrev i meddelelsen
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Ray_Net wrote:
    >>> And, when i contact the webmaster he say:
    >>> "I don't care; Use IE !".

    >> I don't return...that fixes the problem. So will others. Not the best
    >> business plan...look at the "fan mail" that Intuit gets on their
    >> support forums when their *web apps* needlessly block access from
    >> Linux. Proven to be bogus with a useragent change.
    >>

    > If every Linux user refused to visit a site, it would make little to no
    > difference to the business. OTOH, if their site fails with IE, the
    > business
    > would feel it. The simple fact is, the most successful sites function with
    > the browsers and devices that represent the largest market share.
    > --
    > best regards,
    >
    > Neil

    Concerning browsers, IE holds about 50%.
    And, this count steadily shrinks. Good reasons for it.
    People have phones and use Safary and Chrome.
    My website stat clearly shows the same falling tendency. Moreover:
    For instance -besides the ongoing zero day exploit -
    IE11 has gone back to disablement . Just discovered this latest browser
    can't handle "background-size". IE9 can do it. All other modern major
    browsers can handle it. Besides this. The world community of xp owners is
    about to discover that their xp machines has been packed with ms virus, that
    is active now past april 8.
    That what happened to my own. They are about to kill
    their xp users, now finished updating xp - no obstacles.
    se, May 4, 2014