Security headache: accessing a DCOM server from ASP.NET

Igor DR

Hi, I have a ASP.NET 3.5 web server that accesses a DCOM server.
When the ASP.NET application is deployed on Windows XP, I give the ASPNET
user access permission to the DCOM server using DCOM config. The web
application works well.

The problem is when the ASP.NET application is deployed on Windows 2003
Server.
In this case I give to the NETWORK SERVICE user the same permissions I gave
to the ASPNET user in Windows XP, but it doesn’t work: it gives me 0x80070005
error (Access denied).
The only solution I found, is to turn on local impersonation in web.config
and give DCOM permissions to the IUSR_machinename user.

Is there a way to give right permissions to the NETWORK SERVICE user, so
that it can access a DCOM server that is on a remote machine?

Bob Barrows

Igor said:
Hi, I have a ASP.NET 3.5 web server

recommended practice), but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
ASP.Net is a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be
lucky enough to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your
question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to
a newsgroup where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest

to help you.

Igor DR

OK, sorry, but it's 6 hours I'm browsing forums, making researches on Google,
etc.
I thought this was an ASP(NET) general form.
Bye