Security problem when debugging VB6 DLL from calling ASP page

Griff

I know that this is easy to do, I've done it before, but I can't find how I
did it before.....groan.

Basically, my ASP page can createObject for a compiled DLL, but it can't do
it for the non-compiled DLL (running in VB6).

Any clues...

Thanks

Griff

Tony Proctor

In the Debugging tab of the Project properties, there's a "Start browser
with URL" option. Fill that in Griff

When the IDE starts up, it actually redirect the registry locations for your
DLL to a special DCOM server that communicates with the IDE version of your
DLL. IIS/ASP won't know the difference though.When they call on it, their
calls are effectively redirected to the IDE version

Tony Proctor

Griff

That's not it unfortunately

This results in the error:

An unhandled exception ('006-asp 0178~server.createobject access error~the
call to server.createobjectfailed while checking permissions. Access is
denied to this objecty.') occured in dllhost.exe[280]

I think before that I had to edit a registry entry or change something with
the NTFS permissions for the IUSR_server user.....

Phill W.

Griff said:
I know that this is easy to do, I've done it before, but I can't find how I
did it before.....groan.

Basically, my ASP page can createObject for a compiled DLL, but it can't
do it for the non-compiled DLL (running in VB6).

Assuming you're on the same box as the web server ...

Open the project in VB.
Add breakpoints as required.
Ctrl-F5 (Start with Full Compile).
Browse to the web page that uses the DLL and, with a bit of luck,
IIS should use the "instance" running in the VB IDE, breakpoints and all.

HTH,
Phill W.