Security Problem With Active Directory

Hriday

Hi there,

I want to get root path for my Active directory. My Active Directory Machine and Web server are on different phisical machine in the same domain. When I execute bellow code form my Web server machine in a web Application,I get error that The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Dim RootDSE As New
DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry("LDAP://RootDSE")
MsgBox(RootDSE.Properties("DefaultNamingContext").Value)

But the same code gives my root path of AD as
DC=AD,DC=MyComp,DC=Com when I excute it from a Windows
Applicatoin. Why is it so...?

same code gives right result from Windows App, but gives
above error from my Web Application...is this because of
there is some (security)problem of my IIS ? otherwise what is
different in accessing AD through Windows App and Web App..

How can I get or set my IIS root path to my Active
directory?

any help highelly appreciated.

Thanking you..
Hriday.

___
Newsgroups brought to you courtesy of www.dotnetjohn.com

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

It is a security context problem. ASP.NET typically runs as a local machine
account instead of a domain account, and ADSI/S.DS needs the domain security
context to infer a domain controller when you use serverless binding.

You should either specify a specific domain controller DNS name, specify the
DNS name of the domain you want to use, or change your underlying security
model in ASP.NET to use a domain account. For the first two options, you
binding string would change to:
LDAP://mydc.mydomain.com/rootdse
LDAP://mydomain.com/rootdse

More details here: