security question...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Ollie Riches, Sep 19, 2005.

  1. Ollie Riches

    Ollie Riches Guest

    We have a windows media licensing sever that is generating licenses and
    delivering them via HTTPHandler inside an asp.net website, we have
    configured this to run under a secure domain account as described in MSDN.

    But the problem we have encountered is that it appears the licensing server
    requires local admin rights to work correctly - when we added the domain
    account to the local admin group then everything worked correctly. I guess
    that by adding the domain account to the local admin groupt we have now
    granted the correct permissions to access the registry or another sensitive
    resource on the server (windows 2003).

    Can anyone tell me what permissions I would have to granted to what objects
    so that we don't have to run the website in question with local admin
    rights?

    Oh and before anyone says it I do know that granting local admin rights is a
    rather large security whole :)

    Cheers and thanks inadvance

    Ollie Riches

    Ollie Riches, Sep 19, 2005