Security Question

Robert Suffecool

Hi everyone,

I would like to restrict access to certain PDF files on my webserver.
How can they be protected if they are in a "public" directory? For example,
lets assume you have your html and asp pages for http://www.xyz.com saved on
the server's hdd @ c:\xyz.com\htdocs. If you place thefile.pdf in that
directory, then all the "unauthorized" person would need to know is the pdf
file url, i.e., http://www.xyz.com/thefile.pdf.

Assume I place the pdf file in the following directory on the server...
c:\xyz.com\pdfs. Is there a way in ASP that I can allow certain visitors to
view that file? Remember, the asp file would be located on at
c:\xyz.com\htdocs.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Oh, by
the way... the server is IIS5 running on Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

God Bless,

Robert

Bullschmidt

If your Web host allows it I'd suggest password protecting the folder
that contains the .pdf files.

Best regards,
http://www.Bullschmidt.com