    accessing that part of the HDD while my application is running?

    HDD = Hard Disk Drive.

    Thanks.

    Alex, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Alex

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:30:55 +0300, "Alex"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    > Is there a way of forcing FileOutputStream to write on the same physical
    >area on the HDD?

    same as what?

    If you use Random access, everyone will write to the same disk.

    You can arrange locking by creating a busy file of 0 bytes. When
    present others should back off reading or writing.

    This is that SQL is for. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sql.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear.

    I want to be able to write on a specific part of the HDD and then overwrite
    that same physical area of the HDD with random data bits for obvious
    security reasons.

    Alex, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Alex

    pete kirkham Guest

    Alex wrote:

    > Hi , I'm developing a piece of software as part of a Univ. project
    > (http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~csvmh) and I have a few questions...
    >
    > 1) For security reasons I want to be able to store an output stream

    in main
    > memory rather than on disk (i.e. 'something else' vs

    FileOutputStream). Is
    > there something in the Java API for doing this?

    No, the virtual memory system that is part of the OSes that most JVMs
    run on will allow any portion of memory to get copied to the disk at any
    time.

    > 2) Is there a way of forcing FileOutputStream to write on the same

    physical
    > area on the HDD? And is there a way of controlling other applications

    from
    > accessing that part of the HDD while my application is running?

    As far as I know, not within the abstractions provided by Java.

    > I want to be able to write on a specific part of the HDD and then overwrite
    > that same physical area of the HDD with random data bits for obvious
    > security reasons.

    You need to be operating below the levele of abstraction provided by the
    OS's file system. Java relies on these abstractions to provide platform
    independance; this will require native code on each platform you plan to
    target.

    Pete

    pete kirkham, Jul 25, 2003
  5. Alex wrote:
    > Hi , I'm developing a piece of software as part of a Univ. project
    > (http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~csvmh) and I have a few questions...
    >
    > 1) For security reasons I want to be able to store an output stream in main
    > memory rather than on disk (i.e. 'something else' vs FileOutputStream). Is
    > there something in the Java API for doing this?

    java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream

    > 2) Is there a way of forcing FileOutputStream to write on the same physical
    > area on the HDD?

    While it's not guaranteed, I think your best bet is
    java.io.RandomAccessFile.

    > And is there a way of controlling other applications from
    > accessing that part of the HDD while my application is running?

    In MVS there is. In other operating systems, AFAIK, another
    application that has permission to read the file can do so regardless of
    what your program does.

    --Mike Amling

    Michael Amling, Jul 25, 2003
  6. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Thanks

    Thanks for your replies.

    As part of the project I will also be taking a look at the main
    disadvantages of Java and platform independant programming languages in
    respect to security and in general.

    Any useful links to websites will be greatly appreciated.

    Alex, Jul 29, 2003
  7. Alex

    Seebs Guest

    Re: Thanks

    In article <bg53fl$5e2$>,
    Alex <> wrote:
    >As part of the project I will also be taking a look at the main
    >disadvantages of Java and platform independant programming languages in
    >respect to security and in general.

    I recommend focusing on the huge insurgence of Java-based viruses, compared
    to viruses targeting platform-specific tools such as Outlook.

    -s
    http://www.seebs.net/log/ - YA blog. http://www.seebs.net/ - homepage.
    C/Unix wizard, pro-commerce radical, spam fighter. Boycott Spamazon!
    Consulting, computers, web hosting, and shell access: http://www.plethora.net/

    Seebs, Jul 29, 2003