Security Setup Wizard problem

Microsoft

I'm in the process of learning how to set up personalization for a page with
web parts, and I've hit a problem I can't resolve.

I built an example that works, and in that project, I can open the Web Site
Administration Tool and fire up the Security Setup Wizard. No problem so
far.

I create a new project, copy all the code exactly from the prior project,
including the web.config, and I make sure that the settings for the two
sites in IIS are identical. When I attempt to use the Security Setup Wizard
I get this lengthy message. I also get the same message if I attempt to
build the project one step at a time, or even create a new project (web
site).

Has anyone seen this before, and can you give me any guidance on how to
resolve it? Here's the message:

An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Specified argument
was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: site at
System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationHost.InitForConfiguration(String&
locationSubPath, String& configPath, String& locationConfigPath,
IInternalConfigRoot configRoot, Object[] hostInitConfigurationParams) at
System.Configuration.Configuration..ctor(String locationSubPath, Type
typeConfigHost, Object[] hostInitConfigurationParams) at
System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigConfigurationFactory.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigConfigurationFactory.Create(Type
typeConfigHost, Object[] hostInitConfigurationParams) at
System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationHost.OpenConfiguration(WebLevel
webLevel, ConfigurationFileMap fileMap, VirtualPath path, String site,
String locationSubPath, String server, String userName, String password,
IntPtr tokenHandle) at
System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.OpenWebConfigurationImpl(WebLevel
webLevel, ConfigurationFileMap fileMap, String path, String site, String
locationSubPath, String server, String userName, String password, IntPtr
userToken) at
System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.OpenMappedWebConfiguration(WebConfigurationFileMap
fileMap, String path) at
System.Web.Administration.WebAdminPage.OpenWebConfiguration(String path,
String appPhysPath, Boolean getWebConfigForSubDir) at
System.Web.Administration.WebAdminPage.OpenWebConfiguration(String path,
Boolean getWebConfigForSubDir) at
ASP.security_wizard_wizardpermission_ascx.BindGrid() at
ASP.security_wizard_wizardpermission_ascx.Page_Load() at
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.ArglessFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o) at
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender,
EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint,
Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Thanks,
Ben
(e-mail address removed)