Security Using Access with asp.net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Jan T., Oct 12, 2008.

  1. Jan T.

    Jan T. Guest

    I am a newbie with asp.net and have downloaded Visual Web Developer 2008
    Express.
    Now, I see that using roles, it is possible to deny access to certain pages.
    Those roles are
    saved in a SQL Express 2008 database. Is it possible to use Access 2007 also
    to save roles
    and passwords and so on?

    Why I ask, is because where I have my website, I am offered SQL server 2008
    database.
    However, this is a much more expensive solution. There are just a few
    persons that will log in to our
    website, andI need a safe way to log in. I don't want anybody unauthorized
    to see any information
    in our database. (There will be say 5 to 10 persons loging in once a week at
    the most).

    Can Access 2007 do the job and we will be able to save money every month?

    Thank you for your help!

    Jan
    Jan T., Oct 12, 2008

  2. I'm not sure, because the stored procedures used are already created, and I
    don't think Access supports stored procedures, since it uses the Jet
    database engine. I suppose if you wanted to decompile the dlls for the Login
    controls and related classes and rewrite them to not use stored procedures
    you could do that, but that sounds like more work than it's worth (and I
    think you'll agree). As far as being able to save the roles, passwords,
    etc., yes of course it is, it just can't communicate with the Login classes
    since it doesn't support stored procedures. I could be missing some
    workaround, but from what I've found this is what you have to deal with (and
    since Access is almost never used for commercial websites, the Login
    controls probably weren't designed to work with Access).
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Oct 15, 2008

  3. Jan T.

    Jan T. Guest

    Thank you anyway for your answer. Sounds like I am better of not using Roles
    the aspx way?
    May be it would work to do it the classic way like you would do it with
    classic asp. That is;
    checkin if we have a valid user?

    Anybody else?

    Jan