See "what's going on" when an "Error Creating Control" message is displayed

Ravi Ambros Wallau

Hey guys:
What can I do when an "Error Creating Control" is displayed on the form
(instead of the control), and a tooltip indicating the error never is
displayed?
Is there some log, some hidden message, some entry in registry where a
log is created (or that enables a log, trace, dump or whatever)...
I'm a little bit frustated with this error :-(

Tks,
Ravi.

Roy

In your aspx code, locate the troublesome control in question and place
"runat=server" (without the quotes) inside it's tag.

Ravi Ambros Wallau

The error only happens at design time.
My dev enviroment is a Visual Studio .NET 2003 + Infragistics NetAdvantage
2005. I've created a custom control, and when this control is placed inside
a control of Infragistics, the error occours.
The strange thing is that, if I go to HTML view and BACK, everything is
fine. But if I change something in design mode, the error will occours until
I reopen the page.
It's really strange, and the tooltip baloon is _not_ displayed.
I just would like to know what's the error...

lisa

Hey Ravi,

Open up the code for your custom control. Then go to Configuration
Properties/Debugging, and set the Start Action to "Start External
Program". Browse to devenv.exe (that's the VS.NET executable).

Hit run, and it should open a new instance of VS.NET. Set breakpoints
in the first instance, and then do your stuff in the second instance.
When you put your custom control into the Infragistics control in the
second instance, the custom control's code will run in the first
instance, and you should be able to debug.

Lisa

lisa

Oh, and make sure that you set the control project to be the startup
project in the first instance.

Lisa

Ravi Ambros Wallau

Doesn't seem to work.
The problem is not in runtime, but in design mode.
Everything works fine when the application is being debugged.
Is there some log where the erros are stored?

lisa

Design time for your page is run time for the code inside your
controls. If you set a breakpoint in the Load method in the control
code (in the first instance), do you hit it when you add the control to
the page (in the second instance)? If not, you aren't debugging the
control. Maybe you have a copy of the custom control's dll in
PublicAssemblies? If you do, that'd mess up the debug process, because
you wouldn't be adding the control that matches the code in the first
instance of VS.NET.

Lisa

Ravi Ambros Wallau

Hmmm...
No I really understand what you mean...
The problem is that the error occours not in my control, but in
Infragistics. When my control is not placed inside Infragistics, it works
really fine in design mode.
But I will try a shot, placing a breakpoint inside my control constructor.
Thanks a lot for your help (I would like to say thanks for a rapid answer,
but I can't find the expression, English is not my native language).
Let's if I can solve this problem...