Seek advice for ASP/PHP

Olaf Baeyens

I do not want to start a ASP versus PHP discussion, because I favour ASP(X),
but I seek advice since I have no clue about PHP yet.

I want to work with a friend on some web designs. At this point the webs are
installed on a linux machine, so PHP should be prefered. The big questions
now are:

* Are there any reason to move to ASP/ASPX?
* Can I run ASP(X) on linux?
* I see many reports of PHP to be buggy for hacking, is ASP better?
* If I use ASPX, does the client that opens a web form to run on his
machine, needs .NET installed? (I think yes)
* Can Mac and Linux machines run these web forms? (By installing a Linux or
Mac version of .NET) (I heard about Mono)

We want to create a web site that both have a server side processing and
client side web forms, but for all browsers and operating systems. I don't
like Java (I originally did, but now .NET seems to be far better, especially
in graphical user interface)

Another question but off topic I guess, is for dynamic html, is Javascript
or VBscript prefered?

Guest

Hi Olaf,

* Are there any reason to move to ASP/ASPX?

-It depends on your requirements. It's possible to do anything with any
technology if you have the guts, time and resources for it. ASP.NET makes
life quite easier compared to other serverside scripting techologies because
of many reasons such as having a real object model, targetting the .NET
Framework, built-in security, scalability and robustness.

* Can I run ASP(X) on linux?

-ASP.NET is designed for IIS, though there's a mod_mono for Apache. Follow
this link for more info;
http://www.go-mono.com/asp-net.html
Still, mono is an effort to create an open source implementation of .NET
Framework, which means it's not from the source, which means it's not related
to nor supported by MS.

* If I use ASPX, does the client that opens a web form to run on his
machine, needs .NET installed?

-No they don't. They only need a browser.

* Can Mac and Linux machines run these web forms? (By installing a Linux or
Mac version of .NET)

-Yes they can, if they have a web browser. They don't need to install .NET
Framework.

* We want to create a web site that both have a server side processing and
client side web forms, but for all browsers and operating systems.

-This is a good, yet an obviously ambitious request. It's possible, but it
takes a lot of knowledge and careful assessment to realize this, which
usually ends up to not using several features. Since IE, Netscape and others
don't (and perhaps never) have a standard that they follow to be compatible
with each other, I recommend that you add this to your wish list... ;)

* Another question but off topic I guess, is for dynamic html, is Javascript
or VBscript prefered?

Keep in mind that VBScript is only supported by IE.

Hope this helps,

Ethem

Olaf Baeyens

Hi thanks for the feedback. :)
* Are there any reason to move to ASP/ASPX?

-It depends on your requirements. It's possible to do anything with any
technology if you have the guts, time and resources for it. ASP.NET makes
life quite easier compared to other serverside scripting techologies because
of many reasons such as having a real object model, targetting the .NET
Framework, built-in security, scalability and robustness.
This is the exact reason why I prefer ASP.NET.
I see a log of bug reports of PHP, I prefer not to lose time in learning
that language unless I have to.
* Can I run ASP(X) on linux?

-ASP.NET is designed for IIS, though there's a mod_mono for Apache. Follow
this link for more info;
http://www.go-mono.com/asp-net.html
Still, mono is an effort to create an open source implementation of .NET
Framework, which means it's not from the source, which means it's not related
to nor supported by MS.
And the big question now, is can it run as it is (compiled in VC# 2003) or
do I need to recompile the source code on a linux C# compiler to make it
run?
Assuming that I use pure managed code.
* We want to create a web site that both have a server side processing and

-This is a good, yet an obviously ambitious request. It's possible, but it
takes a lot of knowledge and careful assessment to realize this, which
usually ends up to not using several features. Since IE, Netscape and others
don't (and perhaps never) have a standard that they follow to be compatible
with each other, I recommend that you add this to your wish list... ;)
I know that it will give headaches. :)
I just was hoping that all the incompatibility stuff went away overnight,
but that seems te be wishfull thinking, and will probably never happen.
* Another question but off topic I guess, is for dynamic html, is Javascript

Keep in mind that VBScript is only supported by IE.
This was the reason why I asked this question in the first place, but I
already had the tendency to use Javascript. I never liked Visual Basic
anyway. It is has never been my kind of language.

David P. Donahue

And the big question now, is can it run as it is (compiled in VC# 2003) or
do I need to recompile the source code on a linux C# compiler to make it
run?
Assuming that I use pure managed code.

I just started using mono and I can attest to the fact that C# pages I
compile in Visual Studio on my Windows machine have, thus far, run just
fine on my Linux box. While I haven't tested every library at my
disposal, I'm pretty sure mono will handle C# as a whole just fine as
that is the language it mainly focuses on.

Olaf Baeyens

I just started using mono and I can attest to the fact that C# pages I
compile in Visual Studio on my Windows machine have, thus far, run just
fine on my Linux box. While I haven't tested every library at my
disposal, I'm pretty sure mono will handle C# as a whole just fine as
that is the language it mainly focuses on.
This is very nice to hear!

At home I have started to learn about this ASP.NET thing and it seems that I
got a little mix-up.
I first thought that ASP.NET Web application was like an Java applet, it ran
on the client's computer since it is a form and a ASP.NET Web Service like a
java servelet that runs on the server to create HTML code. But now it seems
that both run on the server side. With the difference that ASP.NET Web
application is a bit like a html form (User interface) because the
application creates html code as output, and ASP.NET Web Service can be used
for more none-related HTML code, like creating bitmaps, database access,....
(None-user interface functionality)

I saw some examples of running a normal .NET application that came from the
Internet so I guess that is just a normal .NET application we used to run on
our local drive?
I want something like an ActiveX or Java applet, that runs on the browser
page, but locally on the client machine.

The intention is a server side application and a Client side (like java
applet) side application that can communicate with each other and
process/display results without html code.
But to be run inside the HTML page.

I also started to learn about PHP, and they clame that the responce is
faster than ASP.NET.