    SQL database in a server with IP address 144.214.87.11 through the Internet,
    then how can I configure in the SQL Server 2000?? I'm just a newbie, please
    help. Many thanks!!
    chris, Oct 19, 2003

  2. chris

    Chris Barber Guest

    .... 'through the internet' ...

    Security, security and more security.

    1. Through a NAT on the router that is connected to the internet (directs
    traffic on 1433 - consider changing the internet side listening port to
    something other than the standard 1433 to avoid scanners) to point to the
    internal SQL server.
    But, make sure you *lock* down the logins such as 'sa' etc and never login
    with a user that is a sysadmin role. Make sure you get a lot of advice and
    preferably read a book on SQL security first.
    2. Use the SQL Server web XML interface for requests in XML format (can be
    reconverted to classic ADO recordset easily). Easier to manage security etc.
    for this since you only configure specific things to be available through
    it.
    3. Use a secured VPN to make sure the traffic is encrypted. This allows full
    access to the SQL server via IP address and keeps nosy prying internet eyes
    from trying to get at it.

    Hope this gives you a few pointers.

    Chris.

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    chris wrote:
    > ...I just wanna know if I got a asp page in a location A and wanna
    > connect to the SQL database in a server with IP address 144.214.87.11
    > through the Internet, then how can I configure in the SQL Server
    > 2000??

    Just a little o/t for this goup, but IIRC there isn't much you have to do
    with SQLServer apart from setting up the users with the necessary
    permissions.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    Chris Barber, Oct 19, 2003