Seeking a dataset for testing

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tom Anderson, Aug 3, 2008.

  1. Tom Anderson

    Tom Anderson Guest

    Hi chaps and chapesses,

    I'm putting together some little tests to compare various serialisation
    formats - java's own, XML, ASN.1, whatever else i can think of. To do this
    properly, i need some data to populate my objects before i write them out.
    I started off with a good old Customer/Order/etc model, with randomly
    generated values, but i'm not really happy with this - i can't randomly
    generate names and addresses with as much entropy as real ones, and that's
    going to make compression more effective than it would be in real-world
    data.

    What i really need, then, is some real-world data. I don't mind what the
    domain or data model is, as long as it's got several different object
    types, lots of pointers and not too much of either text or numeric data
    (so not particle physics, x-ray crystallography, text corpus, or image
    data). I'd like about a hundred megs of it. Does anyone know of a dataset
    i could use for this? I've had a bit of a look, but all i can find is,
    yes, particle physics, x-ray crystallography, text corpus, or image data.
    All suggestions welcome!

    tom

    --
    unstable orbits in the space of lies