seeking a new host for the "Python Grimoire"

Stephen Ferg

The "Python Grimoire" was developed and released by Andrew M. Kuchling
in May, 1999. However, it never reached a stage where Andrew felt that
it was ready for publication, and eventually he withdrew it. I had
found the Grimoire helpful when I was learning Python, however, and I
persuaded Andrew to allow me to take over maintenance of the Grimoire
in August, 2002. Since then it has been available at:

http://www.ferg.org/grimoire/grimoire.html

I am no longer able, however, to devote the time necessary to maintain
the Grimoire and bring it up to date, so I am planning to take it down
from my Web site.

If you would like to take over the hosting and maintenance of the
Grimoire, please contact me, Steve Ferg, at (e-mail address removed).

Gerrit Muller

The "Python Grimoire" was developed and released by Andrew M. Kuchling
in May, 1999. However, it never reached a stage where Andrew felt that
it was ready for publication, and eventually he withdrew it. I had
found the Grimoire helpful when I was learning Python, however, and I
persuaded Andrew to allow me to take over maintenance of the Grimoire
in August, 2002. Since then it has been available at:

http://www.ferg.org/grimoire/grimoire.html

I am no longer able, however, to devote the time necessary to maintain
the Grimoire and bring it up to date, so I am planning to take it down
from my Web site.

If you would like to take over the hosting and maintenance of the
Grimoire, please contact me, Steve Ferg, at (e-mail address removed).
Stephen,

I didn't know this resource. It looks nice. Why take it down? It looks
valuable as is. Maybe you should add a warning that it is no longer
maintained and that volunteers are welcomed at the top?

kind regards, Gerrit

Robert Kern

Gerrit said:
Stephen,

I didn't know this resource. It looks nice. Why take it down? It looks
valuable as is. Maybe you should add a warning that it is no longer
maintained and that volunteers are welcomed at the top?

Some of the material is so out-of-date that it will teach beginners bad
habits (well, good habits if you are still using 1.5.2, but bad habits
relative what good habits you *should* be developing if you are using a
modern Python).

If no one steps forward to take over right now (and I am, alas, already
overcommitted), it would be nice if the page is kept up with a big, red,
blazing sign warning off newbies. If the page just disappears from the
web, I don't think it likely that it will get picked up again. I am
reminded of a quote from Brewster Kahle, the founder of the Internet
Archive: "The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is
no way to run a culture."

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Stephen Ferg

STATUS UPDATE

Talking to Richie Hindle has given me the idea of setting up the
Grimoire as a wiki on Python.org.

I'm not a real sophisticated wiki user, but I can probably do it.

I really like the idea of the Grimoire becoming community-maintained
documentation, something that I've advocated for a long time, and
something that I think we need more of.

If the wiki idea doesn't work out, there are a couple of folks who
have volunteered to host the Grimoire in the future.

Skip Montanaro

Gerrit> I didn't know this resource. It looks nice. Why take it down? It
Gerrit> looks valuable as is. Maybe you should add a warning that it is
Gerrit> no longer maintained and that volunteers are welcomed at the
Gerrit> top?

Or convert it to a wiki and let the community as a whole maintain it? If
you want to go that route I'd be happy to host the wiki on the Mojam server.

Skip

Carlos Ribeiro

STATUS UPDATE

Talking to Richie Hindle has given me the idea of setting up the
Grimoire as a wiki on Python.org.

I'm not a real sophisticated wiki user, but I can probably do it.

I really like the idea of the Grimoire becoming community-maintained
documentation, something that I've advocated for a long time, and
something that I think we need more of.

If the wiki idea doesn't work out, there are a couple of folks who
have volunteered to host the Grimoire in the future.

A WIki is definitely the way to go. However, hosting it inside the
main Python Wiki is problematic. Wikis aren't usually very bright when
it comes to naming scopes :) so it's probably better to have it
implemented as a standalone Wiki. Anyway, having it on the Python Wiki
is better than not having it at all.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos

Ron Stephens

I notice that the Grimoire is no longer accessible. Please let us know
when it comes back online. I do think it fills a niche. Also, I love
the idea of the Grimoire coming back as a Wiki, it seems the perfect
candidate for folks to post best practices.

Ron Stephens