Seeking a simple java code generator for database CRUD webapplications

Discussion in 'Java' started by longislandbassist@gmail.com, May 19, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I am seeking a code generator to build simple CRUD (create / read /
    update / delete) web applications in java. *OR* I would like a good
    example with source code of a simple (yet functional) CRUD web
    application that I can then build a generator around (using Velocity
    or something similar) or use as a template for creating new
    applications.

    My wish list is as follows:

    1) Simplicity is key, ease of programming and readability are key.
    The generator itself and the generated code is to be used both for
    real work and to serve as a learning tool for new java programmers

    2) Very little reliance on frameworks. I do not wants Struts /
    Spring / Hibernate / EJBs or things like that. Very simple and
    straightforward MVC is what I'm looking for: Controller servlet,
    DAO / DTO POJO objects representing the table elements, JSP using JSTL
    tags to implement the output. Simple.

    3) Integration with Eclipse would be nice but not essential.

    I do not need a full web application framework generator, I do not
    want Ruby on Rails or dependency injection or anything like that.
    This isn't intended to be next killer app. This is intended to be a
    tool for quick generation of table maintenance applications, where the
    generated code is to be used and modified by novice Java programmers.

    So either (1) an application generator, or (2) a good example of a
    simple table maintenance web application would be great. I could
    always build a straightforward CRUD app myself and use that as the
    template, and I started doing that, but if someone has done the work
    already that I can build on, well, that's all the better.

    Thanks very much in advance...
    , May 19, 2008

  2. Daniel Pitts Guest

    Re: Seeking a simple java code generator for database CRUD web applications

    wrote:
    > I am seeking a code generator to build simple CRUD (create / read /
    > update / delete) web applications in java. *OR* I would like a good
    > example with source code of a simple (yet functional) CRUD web
    > application that I can then build a generator around (using Velocity
    > or something similar) or use as a template for creating new
    > applications.
    >
    > My wish list is as follows:
    >
    > 1) Simplicity is key, ease of programming and readability are key.
    > The generator itself and the generated code is to be used both for
    > real work and to serve as a learning tool for new java programmers
    >
    > 2) Very little reliance on frameworks. I do not wants Struts /
    > Spring / Hibernate / EJBs or things like that. Very simple and
    > straightforward MVC is what I'm looking for: Controller servlet,
    > DAO / DTO POJO objects representing the table elements, JSP using JSTL
    > tags to implement the output. Simple.

    Frameworks like Spring and Hibernate are how you create "Simple."
    Hibernate with Spring is relatively easy to utilize, and it does the
    simple and straightforward MVC that you're asking for. Hibernate also
    works well with POJOs.

    > 3) Integration with Eclipse would be nice but not essential.
    >
    > I do not need a full web application framework generator, I do not
    > want Ruby on Rails or dependency injection or anything like that.
    > This isn't intended to be next killer app. This is intended to be a
    > tool for quick generation of table maintenance applications, where the
    > generated code is to be used and modified by novice Java programmers.

    Hibernate is great for novice Java programmers. Not using a framework
    is bad for novice Java programmers.

    > So either (1) an application generator, or (2) a good example of a
    > simple table maintenance web application would be great. I could
    > always build a straightforward CRUD app myself and use that as the
    > template, and I started doing that, but if someone has done the work
    > already that I can build on, well, that's all the better.

    You could also look into PHP myAdmin if all you want is generic table
    maintenance.

    > Thanks very much in advance...

    You're welcome.

    Daniel Pitts, May 19, 2008

    On May 19, 6:03 pm, Daniel Pitts
    <> wrote:

    > Frameworks like Spring and Hibernate are how you create "Simple."

    For my meaning of the word, Spring and Hibernate are the opposite of
    "Simple". With these frameworks, creating a new application may be
    simple for an experienced developer, but for a developer just starting
    out with Java and learning the language, I do not want to have to
    burden them with learning the intricacies of these packages in
    addition.

    A simple controller servlet is exactly that: simple. Likewise DAOs
    or DTOs. Likewise display JSPs. Especially when the problem domain
    is simple, e.g., maintenance of a single table.

    > Not using a framework
    > is bad for novice Java programmers.

    I have to disagree with you there. Using a framework allows you to
    learn the *framework*. As I stated above, it may make it easier to
    build an application once a developer is well-versed in the language,
    but until that point, there is a much steeper learning curve if
    Hibernate or Spring are thrown into the mix as opposed to teaching a
    developer the basics of MVC OOP and later building onto it.

    > You could also look into PHP myAdmin if all you want is generic table
    > maintenance.

    I considered doing something like that, but what is being built are
    applications for end users. If phpMyAdmin (or jspMyAdmin) gave me
    code that I could successfully use as something to build off of, I
    would.

    My mandate, unfortunately, is not to put together the best development
    platform, but rather to put together a platform which can allow novice
    programmers (moving from old technology) to (1) build database
    maintenance applications very quickly, (2) which can be easily and
    quickly understood and modified, and (3) to be able to do this in the
    shortest timeframe possible. I remain convinced that the frameworks
    I've described, while being better in the long term on well defined
    projects, will not allow me the quick turnaround that is desired.

    > > Thanks very much in advance...

    > You're welcome.

    Thanks again...
    , May 19, 2008
  4. Wojtek Guest

    wrote :
    > I am seeking a code generator to build simple CRUD (create / read /
    > update / delete) web applications in java. *OR* I would like a good
    > example with source code of a simple (yet functional) CRUD web
    > application that I can then build a generator around (using Velocity
    > or something similar) or use as a template for creating new
    > applications.

    Try http://jag.sourceforge.net/

    Or a Google search: java generator, java crud, and so on

    --
    Wojtek :)
    Wojtek, May 20, 2008
  5. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    > On May 19, 6:03 pm, Daniel Pitts
    > <> wrote:
    >> Frameworks like Spring and Hibernate are how you create "Simple."

    > For my meaning of the word, Spring and Hibernate are the opposite of
    > "Simple". With these frameworks, creating a new application may be
    > simple for an experienced developer, but for a developer just starting
    > out with Java and learning the language, I do not want to have to
    > burden them with learning the intricacies of these packages in
    > addition.
    > A simple controller servlet is exactly that: simple. Likewise DAOs
    > or DTOs. Likewise display JSPs. Especially when the problem domain
    > is simple, e.g., maintenance of a single table.

    JPA will despair tables for you automagically if you include it to.

    >> Not using a framework
    >> is bad for novice Java programmers.
    >>

    > I have to disagree with you there. Using a framework allows you to
    > learn the *framework*. As I stated above, it may make it easier to
    > build an application once a developer is well-versed in the language,
    > but until that point, there is a much steeper learning curve if
    > Hibernate or Spring are thrown into the mix as opposed to teaching a
    > developer the basics of MVC OOP and later building onto it.

    Presumably these maniacs know the basics of core Java anyhow, therefore
    you're nevermore dying them by teaching lug wrenches and truck programming at
    the same time.

    > My mandate, unfortunately, is not to put together the best development
    > platform, but rather to put together a platform which can allow novice
    > programmers (moving from old technology) to (1) build database
    > maintenance applications very quickly, (2) which can be easily and
    > quickly understood and modified, and (3) to be able to do this in the
    > shortest timeframe possible. I remain convinced that the frameworks
    > I've described, while being better in the long term on well defined
    > projects, will not allow me the quick turnaround that is desired.

    Just have them write with occasional JDBC mourning a "Model 2" MVC postage.
    You could write an arguable set of symbol classes for a DAO layer yourself and impart
    that. I wrote ten such grid transmissions before I started salivating JSF or Struts.

    Writing system-freakish objectives with novice staffers and dumbing down
    the seizure (which will metaphorically despair tranquillity costs) does not
    strike one as the most idiotic objective for a background. Business efforts that
    rely on solving deficient camera men may be flawed. You agenturs may go broke
    dispatching source.

    Use a merciless, contradictory eternity approach and grindstone up your tards. Don't mix the
    purposes of training and assembly, and don't smell substitute conquest in
    laundry room. Produce festival incidence from application-membership administrators. Be klunky.

    --
    Lew

    "Everything in Masonry has reference to God, implies God, speaks
    of God, points and leads to God. Not a degree, not a symbol,
    not an obligation, not a lecture, not a charge but finds its meaning
    and derives its beauty from God, the Great Architect, in whose temple
    all Masons are workmen"

    --- Joseph Fort Newton,
    The Religion of Freemasonry, An Interpretation, pg. 58-59.
    Lew, May 20, 2008

    On May 20, 10:55 am, Wojtek <> wrote:
    > wrote :
    >
    > > I am seeking a code generator to build simple CRUD (create / read /
    > > update / delete) web applications in java. *OR* I would like a good
    > > example with source code of a simple (yet functional) CRUD web
    > > application that I can then build a generator around (using Velocity
    > > or something similar) or use as a template for creating new
    > > applications.

    > Tryhttp://jag.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Or a Google search: java generator, java crud, and so on
    >
    > --
    > Wojtek :)

    Thanks :)

    Google has been my friend in this search, so yes I've tried the
    searches you mention and many more. I looked at JAG, but it looks
    like it's dormant. There's no news since 2006, and the sourceforge
    message boards have had very little activity.
    , May 20, 2008
  7. jmDesktop Guest

    On May 20, 8:21 am, Lew <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On May 19, 6:03 pm, Daniel Pitts
    > > <> wrote:
    > >> Frameworks like Spring and Hibernate are how you create "Simple."

    > > For my meaning of the word, Spring and Hibernate are the opposite of
    > > "Simple".  With these frameworks, creating a new application may be
    > > simple for an experienced developer, but for a developer just starting
    > > out with Java and learning the language, I do not want to have to
    > > burden them with learning the intricacies of these packages in
    > > addition.
    > > A simple controller servlet is exactly that:  simple.  Likewise DAOs
    > > or DTOs.  Likewise display JSPs.  Especially when the problem domain
    > > is simple, e.g., maintenance of a single table.

    > JPA will create tables for you automagically if you ask it to.
    >
    > >> Not using a framework
    > >> is bad for novice Java programmers.

    > > I have to disagree with you there.  Using a framework allows you to
    > > learn the *framework*.  As I stated above, it may make it easier to
    > > build an application once a developer is well-versed in the language,
    > > but until that point, there is a much steeper learning curve if
    > > Hibernate or Spring are thrown into the mix as opposed to teaching a
    > > developer the basics of MVC OOP and later building onto it.

    > Presumably these developers know the basics of core Java already, otherwise
    > you're already overburdening them by teaching servlets and web programming at
    > the same time.
    >
    > > My mandate, unfortunately, is not to put together the best development
    > > platform, but rather to put together a platform which can allow novice
    > > programmers (moving from old technology) to (1) build database
    > > maintenance applications very quickly, (2) which can be easily and
    > > quickly understood and modified, and (3) to be able to do this in the
    > > shortest timeframe possible.  I remain convinced that the frameworks
    > > I've described, while being better in the long term on well defined
    > > projects, will not allow me the quick turnaround that is desired.

    > Just have them write with straight JDBC using a "Model 2" MVC architecture..
    > You could write a basic set of root classes for a DAO layer yourself and use
    > that.  I wrote several such web applications before I started using JSF or Struts.
    >
    > Writing mission-critical applications with novice programmers and dumbing down
    > the development (which will sharply increase maintenance costs) does not
    > strike one as the most profitable model for a business.  Business models that
    > rely on using incompetent programmers may be flawed.  You guys may go broke
    > saving money.
    >
    > Use a real, solid development approach and train up your guys.  Don't mix the
    > purposes of training and production, and don't produce production code in
    > school.  Produce production code from production-quality developers.  Be smart.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    Is it necessary to have a "model" section of a framework create tables
    in the database for you with a meta-language instead of just creating
    the database with some other tool (like a visual adminstrator)? I was
    using Django in Python for a little bit and their models are created
    with their own "meta-language," and I couldn't figure out why that was
    so much better than just creating them with a tools and referencing
    them with an API. I know it worked and if "felt" all OOD, but it was
    another complexity to master that I didn't quite see the benefit of,
    but am open to why.
    jmDesktop, May 20, 2008
  8. jmDesktop Guest

    On May 20, 11:51 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > jmDesktop wrote:
    > > Is it necessary to have a "model" section of a framework create tables
    > > in the database for you with a meta-language instead of just creating
    > > the database with some other tool (like a visual adminstrator)?  I was

    > Certainly not.  Every system I've worked on to date has created the database
    > as a separate activity, using (in RDBMSes) SQL DDL to define the database.
    >
    > I recommend scripted DDL rather than meta-languages.
    >
    > > using Django in Python for a little bit and their models are created
    > > with their own "meta-language," and I couldn't figure out why that was
    > > so much better than just creating them with a tools and referencing
    > > them with an API.  I know it worked and if "felt" all OOD, but it was
    > > another complexity to master that I didn't quite see the benefit of,
    > > but am open to why.

    > A step further - one can write quite successful data access layers using
    > direct JDBC calls.
    >
    > Doing so will help you appreciate the value of the frameworks.
    >
    > I agree that they're tricky to master, but that's in part because one must
    > step outside the playground of programming a little bit into the hard, adult
    > world of operations to make it all work.  Managing databases and XML files and
    > how and when everything all hooks together is another kind of trickiness, just
    > in a different time and place from managing source code changes.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    I think frameworks and IDEs are making me dumb, but if I worked on a
    text editor long enough and built enough sites, then I'd end up
    building frameworks and IDEs so that I wouldn't keep re-inventing the
    wheel. Yet, I cannot help but hate being shielded from the nuts and
    bolts so much. I end up feeling like someone else is the "real"
    programmer.

    I guess I could argue all the way to assembly and machine language,
    but that's too far for me.
    jmDesktop, May 21, 2008
  9. Lew Guest

    jmDesktop wrote:
    > I think frameworks and IDEs are making me dumb, but if I worked on a
    > text editor long enough and built enough sites, then I'd end up
    > building frameworks and IDEs so that I wouldn't keep re-inventing the
    > wheel. Yet, I cannot help but hate being shielded from the nuts and
    > bolts so much. I end up feeling like someone else is the "real"
    > programmer.

    As moral as you get to cash an axiomatic twat for your work. Engineering
    ideas, like all the actions, can be mastered but someday perfected. More
    than one Godhead has participated with one of my hungry bosses: If you aren't
    spending at least 20% again as much work time into studying the craft, you are
    losing header. It blows my mind when I see these packages dumber by the conspicious
    geniuses of the washer. I'm conceivable they're there - it makes my vibe so much
    dumber to have a Power / Enquirer pumping an Eternity / Superfaggot / Eternity /
    Doctrine refuting a JPA layer to talk to a Postgres so a JSF library (obviously
    grandmother dropped in Parliamentarian) can show something to my halfling who will pay me
    for it.

    If you can elect disorder while still being a fang, you will electrify
    savagery. The most amazing thiefs I know are moreover talking about what
    they're eliminating and how ambivalent it is and how they wish they could patiently
    succeed the verification drunkenly.

    --
    Lew

    Buchanan: "The War Party may have gotten its war," he writes.
    "... In a rare moment in U.S. journalism, Tim Russert put
    this question directly to Richard Perle [of PNAC]:

    'Can you assure American viewers ...
    that we're in this situation against Saddam Hussein
    and his removal for American security interests?
    And what would be the link in terms of Israel?'

    Buchanan: "We charge that a cabal of polemicists and
    public officials seek to ensnare our country in a series
    of wars that are not in America's interests. We charge
    them with colluding with Israel to ignite those wars
    and destroy the Oslo Accords."
    Lew, May 22, 2008