Seeking advice about JavaScript code/style

psema4

Hello all,

I'm hoping this is the correct forum for locating some programmers more
experienced in JavaScript than I am. =)

I recently started a new project on SourceForge called Atomic OS and
was wondering if anybody out there might be able to help with some
feedback about the source code.

Atomic OS is the third in a chain of prototypes that I've been working
on for the last year or so - in an effort to learn JavaScript and AJAX
development in general. It works, but I expect that it's not written
as well as it could be.

Before I get into making any signficant changes, I'd like to see if
anyone might provide some advice, pointers or tips.

Thanks in advance.

http://atomos.sourceforge.net/

- Scott

Richard Cornford

psema4 wrote:
I recently started a new project on SourceForge called
Atomic OS and was wondering if anybody out there might
be able to help with some feedback about the source code.

Atomic OS is the third in a chain of prototypes that I've
been working on for the last year or so - in an effort to
learn JavaScript and AJAX development in general. It works,
but I expect that it's not written as well as it could be.
<snip>

A name is all fine and good but if you want people to go out of their
way to assess your code you should probably make a statement about what
and why it is.

Richard.

psema4

Richard said:
psema4 wrote:
I recently started a new project on SourceForge called
Atomic OS and was wondering if anybody out there might
be able to help with some feedback about the source code.
[...]
A name is all fine and good but if you want people to go out of their
way to assess your code you should probably make a statement about what
and why it is.

Woops.

The summary I've been using on sourceforge describes (if somewhat
inadequately) what Atomic OS is. I've been trying to include it in my
communications and introductions over the last few days. Missed it
here, sorry 'bout that.

"Atomic OS is a responsive Web 2.0 operating environment & development
platform. Based on AJAX techniques, it emulates/provides standard
operating system features including a command-line shell, interpreter,
filesystem, database access and GUI services."

Why comes in a few parts:

As a web developer - mostly perl CGI and simple HTML+CSS before this
project - I needed to solve user interface issues I kept running into.
Issues I never had to deal with when writing desktop apps.

During this struggle, I came across two webapps (TiddlyWiki[1] and
JSUIX[2]) that really got me thinking. I wanted to pull up a console
and look inside and fiddle with the structures inside my applications
while they were running - and that seemed like a good reason to start
looking into JavaScript.

Now, I see it as a means to do several things:
- Give an opportunity for people (esp. myself) to learn the basics of
systems design
- Build cool web-based applications
- Help others in a few particular communities: GTALUG[3], TPM[4],
DCC[5], CLUE[6]

Hope that helps a bit.

- Scott
http://atomos.sourceforge.net/