Seeking advice for organization of projects/files for large 2.0 site

Eric

We've got a fairly large legacy ASP site, consiting of one main website
with a lot of sub-folders organized in a tree under the main site. We
don't use IIS Application/Virtual directories other than the main
website root directory (one big application with groups of pages
located in sub-folders). I'd guess we have over 200 pages now and it's
growing.

Now we want to create new pages in ASP.NET 2.0 (we're skipping over
1.x, but I have some experience with 1.x) and I'm not sure what would
be the best model for organizing projects (which were in 1.1, but
apparently don't exist in 2.0), folders, etc. We want to group pages
together that are logically related, so we clearly need a tree folder
structure. Also, we want to use a separate web.config to control
security access to some of the sub-folders, but we want all the pages
to be condsidered one application in an IIS sense.

How can I store .aspx files in a subdirectory that isn't a virtual
directory? Would it use the main \bin folder for the whole site, or
would each sub-folder containing .aspx files also have it's own bin
folder (I think local bin folders are gone now?)

I understand that MS has released a new download that gives us the same
project model that was used in ASP.NET 1.x (projects can be located in
sub-folders), but they seem to be directing that at migration purposes.
Is this a good idea for entirely new applications, or is there a better
way to do it in a 2.0 world?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Eric