    at open source implementations.
    I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks

    Guest, Sep 8, 2006

    mlimber Guest

    lid wrote:
    > I am a recent college graduate and am looking for some advice on how to be a skilled C++
    > developer. My educational background is from a quite mediocre campus.
    > Can anybody please explain what is expected of a fresh graduate in the industry?
    > I have read starter level books(Stroustrup), and some intermediate books(Herb Sutter's
    > Exceptional Series, Scott Meyers classic guides,C++ Common Knowledge,
    > Efficient C++,Advanced C++ Programming Styles and Idioms,C++ Standard Library:
    > A Tutorial and Reference,C++ FAQ,Secrets of the C++ Masters) but understand I still
    > have a long way to go.
    > I understand implementing more concepts is one way to become skilled,another is to look
    > at open source implementations.
    > I would appreciate any advice.

    I think you have answered your own question. Read good books, and
    practice, practice, practice (preferably in the company of others wiser
    than yourself). See also these FAQs:

    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-learn-cpp.html

    Cheers! --M

    mlimber, Sep 8, 2006

  3. lid wrote:
    > I would appreciate any advice.

    Everyone has a different way of learning.

    While some like good books, I think you can't beat solving problems.

    Finding problems to solve is easy...

    Gianni Mariani, Sep 9, 2006
  4. lid wrote:
    > I am a recent college graduate and am looking for some advice on how to be a skilled C++
    > developer. My educational background is from a quite mediocre campus.
    > Can anybody please explain what is expected of a fresh graduate in the industry?
    > I have read starter level books(Stroustrup), and some intermediate books(Herb Sutter's
    > Exceptional Series, Scott Meyers classic guides,C++ Common Knowledge,
    > Efficient C++,Advanced C++ Programming Styles and Idioms,C++ Standard Library:
    > A Tutorial and Reference,C++ FAQ,Secrets of the C++ Masters) but understand I still
    > have a long way to go.
    > I understand implementing more concepts is one way to become skilled,another is to look
    > at open source implementations.
    > I would appreciate any advice.
    > Thanks

    One method that has helped me a lot is to answer issues
    from this newsgroup and the cousin (comp.lang.c) next
    door. If your answer is not correct, somebody will
    show you why.

    Another method is to pick a personal project to work
    on. This will help you with real programs rather
    than partials submitted to this newsgroup.

    Out in the industry, here is what I recommend:
    1. Mastery of the language.
    2. Mastery of the pieces you know the best. Try to develop your code
    with zero compilation errors on the first pass.
    3. Knowledge of the principles behind the STL. These principles
    will help you write modules that can interface with other modules.
    4. Knowledge of design patterns.
    5. Knowledge of how compilers translate the code. This will help
    you write code that the compiler can make more efficient.

    In the industry, there are more problems to handle that are
    outside of the language. You don't want lack of language
    skills to impede your productivity.

    VERY IMPORTANT: Don't worry about program size or efficiency
    in the first pass. Get the program working correctly and
    robustly. Let the managers choose between adding more memory,
    optimizing for efficiency or optimizing by time. Sometimes,
    adding more memory to the product or reducing features, will
    be a lot cheaper than paying people to optimize the product.
    Saving time by not having bugs to fix: PRICELESS.

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Sep 9, 2006

    Guest

    Hello All,

    Thanks a lot for the replies.

    Thomas,

    Thanks for your reply.

    > One method that has helped me a lot is to answer issues
    > from this newsgroup and the cousin (comp.lang.c) next
    > door. If your answer is not correct, somebody will
    > show you why.
    >
    > Another method is to pick a personal project to work
    > on. This will help you with real programs rather
    > than partials submitted to this newsgroup.

    Are there any projects which can be completed in few days but are
    enough to put on resume which can show
    prospective employers that I am a skilled C++ developer? Can you please
    explain? I am looking but projects
    in OpenOffice,boost look little difficult for a fresh graduate and I
    think are aimed are veteran developers.

    > Out in the industry, here is what I recommend:
    > 1. Mastery of the language.

    To attain Mastery would you suggest some books which can help me? Also
    by Mastery you mean complete
    knowledge of the language or something else?

    > 2. Mastery of the pieces you know the best. Try to develop your code
    > with zero compilation errors on the first pass.

    By Mastery of the pieces you know the best you mean I should try to
    gain good knowledge of
    particular areas which are in demand in industry or something else? If
    they are specific areas
    can you please suggest some which makes a programmer valuable in
    industry?

    > 3. Knowledge of the principles behind the STL. These principles
    > will help you write modules that can interface with other modules.

    For knowledge of the principles behind the STL would you suggest some
    books like Effective STL : 50 specific ways
    to improve your use of the standard template library by Scott Meyers or
    small projects which can help?

    > 4. Knowledge of design patterns.

    For Knowledge of design patterns I have gone thorugh the Gang of Four
    book by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph
    Johnson, and John Vlissides. Any other books should I go through? I
    understand there are myriad of books
    for each subject and hence am confused which one to choose. Naturally,
    I understand to go through all of them is
    best.

    > 5. Knowledge of how compilers translate the code. This will help
    > you write code that the compiler can make more efficient.

    Knowledge of how compilers translate the code. For this I just read
    Efficient C++,
    C++ and C efficiency : how to improve program speed and memory usage by
    David Spuler. Any other books
    can you please suggest?

    > In the industry, there are more problems to handle that are
    > outside of the language. You don't want lack of language
    > skills to impede your productivity.

    What approach does a fresh graduate need for problems in industry and
    what is expected of him in the industry? Can you please explain?

    Thanks a lot.
    > --
    > Thomas Matthews
    >
    > C++ newsgroup welcome message: