seeking an email subscriber program

Spruce Lee

Hi, all:

I'm looking for a free program that'll run on a Linux box which will allow
me to let people sign up for a newsletter. I want to use it on many
different sites, and have it dump to one central database on one server if
possible. It'll not only have to collect email addresses but also name,
physical mailing address, age, other 'customizable' fields.

Examples: We have a main site, plus a MySpace page, Facebook, Yahoo group,
tripod page, and a host of other pages and sites.

It's for a musician's fan site and we'd send out newsletters periodically.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanx

Mike

Adrienne Boswell

Hi, all:

I'm looking for a free program that'll run on a Linux box which will
allow me to let people sign up for a newsletter. I want to use it on
many different sites, and have it dump to one central database on one
server if possible. It'll not only have to collect email addresses but
also name, physical mailing address, age, other 'customizable' fields.

Examples: We have a main site, plus a MySpace page, Facebook, Yahoo
group, tripod page, and a host of other pages and sites.

It's for a musician's fan site and we'd send out newsletters
periodically.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanx

Mike

What about a plain form posting to a "central" server that can write to
a db?

Spruce Lee

Terry Stockdale said:
Mike,
Check out Dada Mail http://dadamailproject.com/

I used it until I moved my computer tips newsletter to Aweber a couple
years ago..

Dada Mail is free for non-commercial use and is cheap for any use that
for a business/profit motive.

Recommendation: be sure you know the capabilities and policies of
your web host. Some shared hosting packages limit outbound emails to
a maximum number per hour and may throttle or bounce excess ones, or
may disable your ability to access the smtp server. That happened to
me at a FORMER web host, when they were bought out. No warning that
the policy changed - just, all of a sudden, I couldn't send my
newsletter.

Dada Mail has configuration options to throttle its output as to
numbers of emails per outbound batch and how much delay time between
batches.

Terry
http://www.DrawingOnTheWeb.com

I'll give it a look see.

Thanx, Terry

Spruce Lee

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

I'm going to try this and a few other things. I just thought there might be
a pre-packaged what-not out there I could try.

Thanx

Mike