seeking an email subscriber program

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Spruce Lee, Dec 15, 2008.

  1. Spruce Lee

    Spruce Lee Guest

    Hi, all:

    I'm looking for a free program that'll run on a Linux box which will allow
    me to let people sign up for a newsletter. I want to use it on many
    different sites, and have it dump to one central database on one server if
    possible. It'll not only have to collect email addresses but also name,
    physical mailing address, age, other 'customizable' fields.

    Examples: We have a main site, plus a MySpace page, Facebook, Yahoo group,
    tripod page, and a host of other pages and sites.

    It's for a musician's fan site and we'd send out newsletters periodically.

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Thanx

    Mike

    --
    "I know that I could make this world so peaceful and calm
    If I could only get my hands on a hydrogen bomb"

    Todd Rundgren - Heavy Metal Kids
    Spruce Lee, Dec 15, 2008

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Spruce Lee"
    <> writing in

    > Hi, all:
    >
    > I'm looking for a free program that'll run on a Linux box which will
    > allow me to let people sign up for a newsletter. I want to use it on
    > many different sites, and have it dump to one central database on one
    > server if possible. It'll not only have to collect email addresses but
    > also name, physical mailing address, age, other 'customizable' fields.
    >
    > Examples: We have a main site, plus a MySpace page, Facebook, Yahoo
    > group, tripod page, and a host of other pages and sites.
    >
    > It's for a musician's fan site and we'd send out newsletters
    > periodically.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > Mike

    What about a plain form posting to a "central" server that can write to
    a db?

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 15, 2008

  3. Spruce Lee

    Spruce Lee Guest

    "Terry Stockdale" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:19:53 -0500, "Spruce Lee"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi, all:
    > >
    > >I'm looking for a free program that'll run on a Linux box which will

    allow
    > >me to let people sign up for a newsletter. I want to use it on many
    > >different sites, and have it dump to one central database on one server

    if
    > >possible. It'll not only have to collect email addresses but also name,
    > >physical mailing address, age, other 'customizable' fields.
    > >
    > >Examples: We have a main site, plus a MySpace page, Facebook, Yahoo

    group,
    > >tripod page, and a host of other pages and sites.
    > >
    > >It's for a musician's fan site and we'd send out newsletters

    periodically.

    > >Any suggestions appreciated.
    > >
    > >Thanx
    > >
    > >Mike

    > Mike,
    > Check out Dada Mail http://dadamailproject.com/
    >
    > I used it until I moved my computer tips newsletter to Aweber a couple
    > years ago..
    >
    > Dada Mail is free for non-commercial use and is cheap for any use that
    > for a business/profit motive.
    >
    > Recommendation: be sure you know the capabilities and policies of
    > your web host. Some shared hosting packages limit outbound emails to
    > a maximum number per hour and may throttle or bounce excess ones, or
    > may disable your ability to access the smtp server. That happened to
    > me at a FORMER web host, when they were bought out. No warning that
    > the policy changed - just, all of a sudden, I couldn't send my
    > newsletter.
    >
    > Dada Mail has configuration options to throttle its output as to
    > numbers of emails per outbound batch and how much delay time between
    > batches.
    >
    > Terry
    > http://www.DrawingOnTheWeb.com

    I'll give it a look see.

    Thanx, Terry
    Spruce Lee, Dec 16, 2008
  4. Spruce Lee

    Spruce Lee Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Spruce Lee"
    > <> writing in
    >
    > > Hi, all:
    > >
    > > I'm looking for a free program that'll run on a Linux box which will
    > > allow me to let people sign up for a newsletter. I want to use it on
    > > many different sites, and have it dump to one central database on one
    > > server if possible. It'll not only have to collect email addresses but
    > > also name, physical mailing address, age, other 'customizable' fields.
    > >
    > > Examples: We have a main site, plus a MySpace page, Facebook, Yahoo
    > > group, tripod page, and a host of other pages and sites.
    > >
    > > It's for a musician's fan site and we'd send out newsletters
    > > periodically.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanx
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > What about a plain form posting to a "central" server that can write to
    > a db?
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell at Home
    > Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    > http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    I'm going to try this and a few other things. I just thought there might be
    a pre-packaged what-not out there I could try.

    Thanx

    Mike
    Spruce Lee, Dec 16, 2008