Seeking Four Code Samples for Forrester Research Survey

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jeff Rush, May 14, 2007.

  1. Jeff Rush

    Jeff Rush Guest

    In working up a response to the survey being conducted by Forrester Research
    on dynamic languages, there is a section wherein they want to see code
    samples. The samples must include all code written for the example, and URLs
    to any frameworks or modules used.

    Their objective is to see how efficient/elegant the language is for
    developers. This is one area in which Python should excel.

    1) Render a simple Web page containing text, data, and graphics, as
    specified in this wireframe mockup:

    http://dfwpython.org/uploads/Forrester/WireframeShot-1.jpg

    With the myriad number of web frameworks for Python, this is hard but
    let's pick those a few that are most expressive, as the person
    evaluating it may not be familiar with Python per se, but be looking
    for readability.

    2) Invoke a simple Web service and format/display the results.

    This can be either web services or REST, whichever one looks cleanest.

    3) Create a mash-up that overlays local temperature data onto a Google map.

    4) Create a simple form for data submission with fields and drop down
    selects and a submit button, as specified in this wireframe mockup.
    At least one field should be validated.

    http://dfwpython.org/uploads/Forrester/WireframeShot-2.jpg

    To help our community's standing in the survey, and perhaps promotion of your
    favorite web framework, please consider picking one of these or providing a
    trimmed down example of existing code. Send it via private email to me, and
    I'll get it included in the survey response. Forrester's deadline to us is by
    the end of this week, May 18th.

    Thanks,

    Jeff Rush
    Python Advocacy Coordinator