seeking Perl hackers to contribute to CGI Calendar

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Jay Eckles, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Jay Eckles

    Jay Eckles Guest

    Seven years ago I introduced a program called CGI Calendar, an
    open-source Perl/CGI calendar program (licensed under GPL). Since
    then I have maintained it mostly myself, with a few enhancements added
    here and there by interested users.

    I am looking to make a major push to expand the functionality and ease
    of use of CGI Calendar, so I have established it as a project on
    SourceForge.Net. I am looking for any Perl programmers who might be
    interested in contributing their talents to the project.

    To learn more about CGI Calendar and view a demo, go to
    http://www.jayeckles.com/calendar/cgicalendar.html. To view the
    SourceForge.Net summary for the project, go to
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cgicalendar.

    This is a good opportunity for experienced programmers who want to
    join a project where they can make major contributions. This is also
    a good opportunity for less experienced programmers who would like to
    learn more about Perl and hone their skills.

    Some of the features that I'd like to see developed include:
    - Installation and Configuration programs for specific OS/web server
    platforms
    - Advanced scheduling features like repeating events, multiple
    calendars merged into a single view, two-day, week, two-week, and year
    views, etc.
    - A number of UI "skins" or "themes" that take advantage of the
    existing HTML and CSS template structure.
    - Support for various SQL databases
    - Synchronization with other scheduling systems like Palm Datebook,
    Lotus Notes, and MS Outlook

    If you're interested in joining the project, please email me. Better
    yet, head over to the SourceForge.Net project summary page
    (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cgicalendar), view the "Help Wanted"
    ads, and send me a message through SourceForge.

    I look forward to working with you!

    Thanks,

    Jay
    www.jayeckles.com

    Jay Eckles, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Jay Eckles wrote:

    > Seven years ago I introduced a program called CGI Calendar, an
    > open-source Perl/CGI calendar program (licensed under GPL). Since
    > then I have maintained it mostly myself, with a few enhancements added
    > here and there by interested users.
    >
    > I am looking to make a major push to expand the functionality and ease
    > of use of CGI Calendar, so I have established it as a project on
    > SourceForge.Net. I am looking for any Perl programmers who might be
    > interested in contributing their talents to the project.

    <snip>

    It looks good. You might want to look at how I've implemented the mouseover
    "popups" on this site I'm developing:
    http://www.ipo-australia.com/scgi-bin/beta/calendar.cgi

    To go off at a tangent, I've been thinking about developing a Perl cgi based
    "life planning tool", incorporating strategies (life goals) and tactics
    (todo" list). It needs a cgi calendar component as well.

    gtoomey

    Gregory Toomey, Aug 27, 2004