    Python goodies *before* you sign up!)

    Thanks,

    Tom.

    Tom Locke, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Tom Locke

    Doug Holton Guest

    Tom Locke wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Anyone know of a good hosting company that offers both server-side
    > Python and a subversion repository?

    With user-mode linux hosting you can have your own virtual root system
    with which you can run whatever python stuff you want as well as
    subversion or other server processes for about the price of standard
    shared (php+mysql) hosting. I picked this option so that for example I
    could run mod_python. The catch is that disk access is a little slower
    and RAM is more constricted, unless you pay for higher RAM. See:
    http://developers.coedit.net/UserModeLinux

    Doug Holton, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Tom Locke

    Roy Smith Guest

    (Tom Locke) wrote:
    > Anyone know of a good hosting company that offers both server-side
    > Python and a subversion repository?

    Panix (www.panix.com) has svn and python installed on their unix hosts.
    You could certainly do CGI in python. Don't know if they have
    mod_python available or not.

    Support and customer care couldn't be better. These guys started as a
    BBS in the founder's apartment 20 years ago, and haven't lost that
    personal touch while growing the business into a serious commercial
    venture.

    I don't know how their pricing works out for serious web hosting. I pay
    $100/year for my unix shell account, mostly to get mail and news, but it
    includes some low-limit web hosting which I only play around with once
    in a while. A higher-quota web hosting arrangement with your own domain
    name, etc, would certainly cost you more than $100/year.

    Roy Smith, Dec 6, 2004
  4. On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Tom Locke wrote:

    > Anyone know of a good hosting company that offers both server-side
    > Python and a subversion repository?

    This is probably a good opportunity for me to plug OpenHosting.com. It's a
    virtual server, so you can compile/install/run just about anything. We do
    have Python, mod_python and subversion installed by default, so you don't
    even need to bother installing them.

    Grisha

    Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy, Dec 6, 2004
  5. Tom Locke

    Guest

    > Anyone know of a good hosting company that offers both server-side
    > Python and a subversion repository?
    >
    > I know of one: www.textdrive.com - they're a bit pricey, but I s'pose
    > you gets what you pays for - they look good.
    >
    > Just FYI - right now I'm with sapphiresoft.co.uk. They're cheap and

    in
    > my brief experience have been pretty good at responding to support
    > issues. They gave me a big 'no' to subversion though. (tip: if you

    use
    > these guys, be sure to tell them you want the server with the latest
    > Python goodies *before* you sign up!)

    Python-Hosting.com supports Subversion hosting as well.
    You can also get Trac hosting there if you need it.
    This is available as part of all the plans and you'll get all the other
    features included (backups, monitoring, DNS hosting, e-mail hosting,
    web hosting, DB hosting, ...)

    This is where http://www.cherrypy.org is hosted for instance.
    Regards,

    Remi.