Seeking recommendations on entry level J2EE book

GWood

Looking for suggestions on a book that explains the J2EE environment and
components in simple terms, plus explaining how they interact with each
other. Coming largely from a Powerbuilder/Oracle background and understand
Java code pretty well, just looking to fit the puzzle pieces together so I
can get that magic "click". The myriad of highly specialized technical J2EE
information out there is kind of overwhelming.

Tnx

Mike Albanese

GWood said:
Looking for suggestions on a book that explains the J2EE environment and
components in simple terms, plus explaining how they interact with each
other. Coming largely from a Powerbuilder/Oracle background and understand
Java code pretty well, just looking to fit the puzzle pieces together so I
can get that magic "click". The myriad of highly specialized technical J2EE
information out there is kind of overwhelming.

There's "J2EE 1.4 The Big Picture" by Haugland/Cade/Orapallo (Prentice
Hall). The editing could be a bit better, and it's a little strange in
places (just like J2EE!), but not bad for an intro to the subject.

BTW, I also come from a PB/Oracle background.

Mike

TechBookReport

GWood said:
Looking for suggestions on a book that explains the J2EE environment and
components in simple terms, plus explaining how they interact with each
other. Coming largely from a Powerbuilder/Oracle background and understand
Java code pretty well, just looking to fit the puzzle pieces together so I
can get that magic "click". The myriad of highly specialized technical J2EE
information out there is kind of overwhelming.

Tnx

Despite the awful title, 'Teach Yourself Java In 21 Days'
(http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0093.html) does a pretty good job of
introducing the J2EE platform and shows how all the pieces fit together.

Pan
TechBookReport Java http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

?

.

There's "J2EE 1.4 The Big Picture" by Haugland/Cade/Orapallo (Prentice
Hall). The editing could be a bit better, and it's a little strange in
places (just like J2EE!), but not bad for an intro to the subject.

I would like to second this recommendation. It is very high level and has
almost no code examples but it gives you enough information to know the
architecture of J2EE, what is what, when you would use what, etc.

You will probably need more after reading this book but like me, you
should be able to surf the web and find free information. After reading
"J2EE 1.4 The Big Picture" it made understanding the articles on the web
much easier to understand.
BTW, I also come from a PB/Oracle background.

I don't come from a PB/Oracle background. I come from a C/assembly
background. Programming drivers and DSPs is probably as far from Java as
you can get and still be using a Windows or UNIX box.

skis

"Mastering EJB, Third Edition." is also quite easy-to-read
introductory text, although it puts special focus on EJB part of J2EE.
It's freely downloadable from theserverside.com

Skis