    can get that magic "click". The myriad of highly specialized technical J2EE
    information out there is kind of overwhelming.

    Tnx

    GWood, May 5, 2005

  2. GWood wrote:
    > Looking for suggestions on a book that explains the J2EE environment and
    > components in simple terms, plus explaining how they interact with each
    > other. Coming largely from a Powerbuilder/Oracle background and understand
    > Java code pretty well, just looking to fit the puzzle pieces together so I
    > can get that magic "click". The myriad of highly specialized technical J2EE
    > information out there is kind of overwhelming.

    There's "J2EE 1.4 The Big Picture" by Haugland/Cade/Orapallo (Prentice
    Hall). The editing could be a bit better, and it's a little strange in
    places (just like J2EE!), but not bad for an intro to the subject.

    BTW, I also come from a PB/Oracle background.

    Mike

    --
    (for email address, change 'XX' to 'bb')

    Mike Albanese, May 5, 2005

  3. "GWood" <> wrote in message
    > Looking for suggestions on a book that explains the J2EE environment and
    > components in simple terms, plus explaining how they interact with each
    > other. Coming largely from a Powerbuilder/Oracle background and

    understand
    > Java code pretty well, just looking to fit the puzzle pieces together so I
    > can get that magic "click". The myriad of highly specialized technical

    J2EE
    > information out there is kind of overwhelming.
    >
    > Tnx

    Despite the awful title, 'Teach Yourself Java In 21 Days'
    (http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0093.html) does a pretty good job of
    introducing the J2EE platform and shows how all the pieces fit together.

    Pan
    TechBookReport Java http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

    TechBookReport, May 5, 2005
  4. GWood

    . Guest

    On Thu, 5 May 2005, Mike Albanese wrote:

    > GWood wrote:
    > > Looking for suggestions on a book that explains the J2EE environment and
    > > components in simple terms, plus explaining how they interact with each
    > > other. Coming largely from a Powerbuilder/Oracle background and understand
    > > Java code pretty well, just looking to fit the puzzle pieces together so I
    > > can get that magic "click". The myriad of highly specialized technical J2EE
    > > information out there is kind of overwhelming.

    > There's "J2EE 1.4 The Big Picture" by Haugland/Cade/Orapallo (Prentice
    > Hall). The editing could be a bit better, and it's a little strange in
    > places (just like J2EE!), but not bad for an intro to the subject.

    I would like to second this recommendation. It is very high level and has
    almost no code examples but it gives you enough information to know the
    architecture of J2EE, what is what, when you would use what, etc.

    You will probably need more after reading this book but like me, you
    should be able to surf the web and find free information. After reading
    "J2EE 1.4 The Big Picture" it made understanding the articles on the web
    much easier to understand.

    > BTW, I also come from a PB/Oracle background.

    I don't come from a PB/Oracle background. I come from a C/assembly
    background. Programming drivers and DSPs is probably as far from Java as
    you can get and still be using a Windows or UNIX box.

    ., May 9, 2005
  5. GWood

    skis Guest

    "Mastering EJB, Third Edition." is also quite easy-to-read
    introductory text, although it puts special focus on EJB part of J2EE.
    It's freely downloadable from theserverside.com

    Skis

    skis, May 27, 2005