    like to recommend something small but which can still provide a good
    demo?

    Thanks.
    Baron Samedi, Sep 4, 2007

  2. Baron Samedi

    Ian Collins Guest

    Baron Samedi wrote:
    > Sounds unbelievable, I know, but I joined a company whether they don't
    > do any host testing, only target. No one test their code in an IDE on
    > a PC - they just link it and try to test the whole thing on the
    > target.
    >
    > I want to give a quick demo of the benefits of using a decent
    > debugger. Anything too fancy will be wasted on them, I am afraid, so
    > just simple tuff like run to cursor, or to breakpoint, examine &
    > change variables one-step into and over functions, view & unwind call
    > stack, maybe a watch or two.
    >
    > I could quickly write some demo code, but why bother? Would anyone
    > like to recommend something small but which can still provide a good
    > demo?

    Considering your situation select a piece of their code, build it on
    your host and use that.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Sep 4, 2007

  3. Baron Samedi

    Baron Samedi Guest

    On Sep 4, 3:31 pm, Ian Collins <> wrote:
    > Baron Samedi wrote:
    > > Sounds unbelievable, I know, but I joined a company whether they don't
    > > do any host testing, only target. No one test their code in an IDE on
    > > a PC - they just link it and try to test the whole thing on the
    > > target.

    > > I want to give a quick demo of the benefits of using a decent
    > > debugger. Anything too fancy will be wasted on them, I am afraid, so
    > > just simple tuff like run to cursor, or to breakpoint, examine &
    > > change variables one-step into and over functions, view & unwind call
    > > stack, maybe a watch or two.

    > > I could quickly write some demo code, but why bother? Would anyone
    > > like to recommend something small but which can still provide a good
    > > demo?

    > Considering your situation select a piece of their code, build it on
    > your host and use that.
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins.- Hide quoted text -

    I would - that's obviously best, as at least one of them ought to know
    it. However, they have a single product with 500 source files and not
    the best structure. So I would have to either build the whole system -
    and run into problems abstracting the o/s, as they only have a
    makefile for VxWorks/Arm, and nothing for Dos/Windows - or I can take
    a single file and create dummies for the interfaces, but the lack of
    structure makes that difficult.

    I will either find or code something simpler. A little "hell world"
    with some nested function calls, to show the call stack, and a stuct,
    or class, to show some data dump.
    Baron Samedi, Sep 5, 2007
  4. Baron Samedi wrote:
    > [..]
    > I will either find or code something simpler. A little "hell world"
    > with some nested function calls, to show the call stack, and a stuct,
    > or class, to show some data dump.

    Take a somewhat faulty code which you could actually debug. I would
    recommend perusing PC-lint's "bug of the month" archives.

    Victor Bazarov, Sep 5, 2007