Seeking tool to show source file dependency

Discussion in 'C++' started by Baron Samedi, Dec 3, 2007.

  1. Baron Samedi

    Baron Samedi Guest

    I want to understand the structure of some legacy code.

    A good call tree program would be welcome.

    As would something similar, but which shows the relationship of files.
    So, if I have a.c and b.c and something in a.c calls a function in b.c
    then there would be two boxes, one labelled A and one labelled B, with
    an arrow connecting them. Sort of call tree, but at a higher level.
    Does such a thing exist?

    Anything else you can offer?

    Thanks in advance for any help. Freeware preferred, but I won't
    discount commercial. Windows preferred, but I won't discount Linux.
    (no offence)

    Thanks.
    Baron Samedi, Dec 3, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Baron Samedi

    Asm23 Guest

    On 12ÔÂ3ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç5ʱ29·Ö, Baron Samedi <> wrote:
    > I want to understand the structure of some legacy code.
    >
    > A good call tree program would be welcome.
    >
    > As would something similar, but which shows the relationship of files.
    > So, if I have a.c and b.c and something in a.c calls a function in b.c
    > then there would be two boxes, one labelled A and one labelled B, with
    > an arrow connecting them. Sort of call tree, but at a higher level.
    > Does such a thing exist?
    >
    > Anything else you can offer?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help. Freeware preferred, but I won't
    > discount commercial. Windows preferred, but I won't discount Linux.
    > (no offence)
    >
    > Thanks.


    you can use the tool nameed "Doxygen" to generate the file hirechy and
    the function calling trees.
    it is very simple to ues the Wizard tools to generate the document you
    need.

    by the way, Doxygen is a powerful tool, it's free opensource and cross
    plat form.
    Asm23, Dec 5, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Baron Samedi

    Baron Samedi Guest

    On Dec 5, 8:58 am, Asm23 <> wrote:
    > On 12ÔÂ3ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç5ʱ29·Ö, Baron Samedi <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > I want to understand the structure of some legacy code.

    >
    > > A good call tree program would be welcome.

    >
    > > As would something similar, but which shows the relationship of files.
    > > So, if I have a.c and b.c and something in a.c calls a function in b.c
    > > then there would be two boxes, one labelled A and one labelled B, with
    > > an arrow connecting them. Sort of call tree, but at a higher level.
    > > Does such a thing exist?

    >
    > > Anything else you can offer?

    >
    > > Thanks in advance for any help. Freeware preferred, but I won't
    > > discount commercial. Windows preferred, but I won't discount Linux.
    > > (no offence)

    >
    > > Thanks.

    >
    > you can use the tool nameed "Doxygen" to generate the file hirechy and
    > the function calling trees.
    > it is very simple to ues the Wizard tools to generate the document you
    > need.
    >
    > by the way, Doxygen is a powerful tool, it's free opensource and cross
    > plat form.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Thanks very much (I am already using it).

    Does anyone know how to generate a "file dependancy tree"? thanks
    Baron Samedi, Dec 7, 2007
    #3
  4. Baron Samedi

    Asm23 Guest

    On Dec 7, 11:03 am, Baron Samedi <> wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 8:58 am, Asm23 <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On 12ÔÂ3ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç5ʱ29·Ö, Baron Samedi <> wrote:

    >
    > > > I want to understand the structure of some legacy code.

    >
    > > > A good call tree program would be welcome.

    >
    > > > As would something similar, but which shows the relationship of files.
    > > > So, if I have a.c and b.c and something in a.c calls a function in b.c
    > > > then there would be two boxes, one labelled A and one labelled B, with
    > > > an arrow connecting them. Sort of call tree, but at a higher level.
    > > > Does such a thing exist?

    >
    > > > Anything else you can offer?

    >
    > > > Thanks in advance for any help. Freeware preferred, but I won't
    > > > discount commercial. Windows preferred, but I won't discount Linux.
    > > > (no offence)

    >
    > > > Thanks.

    >
    > > you can use the tool nameed "Doxygen" to generate the file hirechy and
    > > the function calling trees.
    > > it is very simple to ues the Wizard tools to generate the document you
    > > need.

    >
    > > by the way, Doxygen is a powerful tool, it's free opensource and cross
    > > plat form.- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > > - Show quoted text -

    >
    > Thanks very much (I am already using it).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to generate a "file dependancy tree"? thanks- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    doxygen can generate "file dependancy tree" by using a "dot" tools
    named "Graphviz"
    Asm23, Dec 18, 2007
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Alex Hunsley
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    373
    Alex Hunsley
    May 3, 2006
  2. Kurt Schwemmer
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    383
    Gianni Mariani
    Jan 23, 2004
  3. adhawan325

    Code Dependency/Flow Analysis Tool

    adhawan325, Jun 4, 2008, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    619
    adhawan325
    Jun 4, 2008
  4. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    527
  5. Paul Geisler

    .class file source dependency

    Paul Geisler, Nov 8, 2009, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    832
Loading...

Share This Page