    Many thanks!

    --
    Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

    Alan Mackenzie, Feb 2, 2010

  2. Alan Mackenzie <> wrote:
    > Hi, clc++,

    > Would somebody please recommend some hopefully not too big C++ FOSS
    > project which contains source which makes liberal use of C++'s
    > features, in particular templates (ideally both using them and defining
    > them).

    Juha, Paavo,

    Thanks for these bits of software. They're just what I need, as well as
    being interesting in their own right.

    --
    Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

    Alan Mackenzie, Feb 2, 2010

  3. Alan Mackenzie

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Tue, 2010-02-02, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
    > Hi, clc++,
    >
    > Would somebody please recommend some hopefully not too big C++ FOSS
    > project which contains source which makes liberal use of C++'s features,
    > in particular templates (ideally both using them and defining them).
    >
    > I could do with this since I maintain Emacs C++ mode and need a realistic
    > test file, although I'm hardly a C++ hacker.

    Then I'm not sure if you should mess around with it too much --
    writing code without using it or understanding how people use it is
    typically a Bad Idea.

    No offense intended, and I'm of course grateful for your work in that
    area. It's just that I use c++-mode heavily and am very pleased with
    it, arguing that Emacs is the best C++ editor in the world and so on
    .... I'd hate to see regressions.

    I'm also not sure heavily templated code should be the main test
    vector. But perhaps you ask for it because you have plenty of plain
    C++ code already.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

    Jorgen Grahn, Feb 3, 2010
  4. Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 2010-02-02, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
    >> Hi, clc++,

    >> Would somebody please recommend some hopefully not too big C++ FOSS
    >> project which contains source which makes liberal use of C++'s
    >> features, in particular templates (ideally both using them and
    >> defining them).

    >> I could do with this since I maintain Emacs C++ mode and need a
    >> realistic test file, although I'm hardly a C++ hacker.

    > Then I'm not sure if you should mess around with it too much -- writing
    > code without using it or understanding how people use it is typically a
    > Bad Idea.

    > No offense intended, .....

    None taken. :)

    > ...., and I'm of course grateful for your work in that area. It's just
    > that I use c++-mode heavily and am very pleased with it, arguing that
    > Emacs is the best C++ editor in the world and so on ...

    Thanks!

    > I'd hate to see regressions.

    Not as much as I would hate it. ;-) But there are bugs in C++ Mode to do
    with template brackets, and I've just fixed one. I'd like to hammer some
    real code with it before I release it. The bug is to do with code like:

    if (x < 0 || y < 0 || x >= 9) {

    (hi, Kevin!), where C++ Mode can misinterpret < and > as template
    brackets if the >= is deleted and reinserted.

    It's actually impossible, in the general case to distinguish "template
    open/close" from "less/greater than" without doing semantic analysis,
    i.e. using a compiler. Who on Earth decided to use these tokens as
    delimiters instead of something unambiguous like, say, <{ and }> ?

    > I'm also not sure heavily templated code should be the main test
    > vector. But perhaps you ask for it because you have plenty of plain
    > C++ code already.

    Well, see above!

    --
    Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).