segfault matplotlib with Python2.6

Magdoll

Has anyone run into the same problem I have? I used to run matplotlib
with Python2.5 and everything worked fine. Now I use Python2.6, and
everything falls apart.

I installed numpy, libpng, and freetype as required by matplotlib, and
the installation all went well. But when I try to plot even the
simplest stuff, ex:

plot([1,2,3,4])

It crashes, segmentation fault.

I tried changing the backend to Agg, TkAgg, GTKAgg in matplotlibrc and
it made no difference. Any suggestions or pointers would be
appreciated!

Thanks!

Jerry Hill

Has anyone run into the same problem I have? I used to run matplotlib
with Python2.5 and everything worked fine. Now I use Python2.6, and
everything falls apart.

I installed numpy, libpng, and freetype as required by matplotlib, and
the installation all went well. But when I try to plot even the
simplest stuff, ex:

And you installed the python 2.6 versions of those tools? I note that
matplotlib doesn't even provide a python 2.6 binary installer yet.
Did you compile them from source? What platform are you running on?

Magdoll

I just compiled all of these from source. I'm installing them on
school Linux servers (most of them Fedora or RedHat I think), which
means I don't have root permission, so I basically have to install
everything under my home directory and hope that nothing
conflicts....most things worked up until now. Matplotlib installed
with no errors, but plotting attempts failed.

I'm a bit reluctant to go back to Python2.5, even though that would
probably solve all my compatibility issues, but I have started using
new syntax in Python2.6. When I first tried matplotlib with Python2.6
and it failed, I just went for gnuplot and it worked. But now I'm
using networkx which means plotting graphs requires matplotlib.

Thanks,
Magdoll