Segfault on new?

Scoots

Okay, I have a really simple program that illustrates a problem I'm
having.

I'm using VC++6.0 (yes, an upgrade is in the works). Anywho, I have
this problem:

int main (int argc, char * argv[])
{
int iNumFuncs = 1;
int * hey = new int [iNumFuncs]; <<--Segfaults. ??????
return 0;
}

Is my installation just gone out the window, or am I so incredibly
tired that I can't even do a dynamic allocation anymore?

Scoots

Scoots said:
Okay, I have a really simple program that illustrates a problem I'm
having.
I'm using VC++6.0 (yes, an upgrade is in the works). Anywho, I have
this problem:
int main (int argc, char * argv[])
{
int iNumFuncs = 1;
int * hey = new int [iNumFuncs]; <<--Segfaults. ??????
return 0;
}
Is my installation just gone out the window, or am I so incredibly
tired that I can't even do a dynamic allocation anymore?

The code seems OK (the memory leak is beside the point, I guess). If
you need your question answered with VC++ in mind, then you need to ask
it in the VC++ newsgroup, though: microsoft.public.vc.language.

There can be some compiler specific settings that are off-topic here,
try the other newsgroup and see what they say...

I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask- Hide quoted text -

Well, the memory leak is kinda irrelevant, I just commented out the
few hundred other lines in the code and didn't bother posting them
here. There IS a delete[], it's just commented out.

And I didn't think this was a VC++ question in particular, since I'm
not using a single call to anything relating to VC++. What I posted
should be standard c++ in it's entirety.

My question, is what can be causing that. And I believe your answer
was: "Compiler."

Thanks,
~Scoots.

(P.S. I appologize for any seeming rudeness, it is unintentional.)

Chris Gordon-Smith

Scoots said:
Scoots said:
[...]

I don't use arrays much, so the syntax is a bit unfamiliar to me. However,
its working fine here with gcc version 4.3.1 on OpenSUSE 11.0

int main (int argc, char * argv[])
{
int iNumFuncs = 1;
int * hey = new int [iNumFuncs]; //  <<--Segfaults.   ??????
hey[0] = 99;
cout << "hey = " << hey << " hey[0] = " << hey[0] << endl;
return 0;
}

Output: hey = 0x804b008 hey[0] = 99

Chris Gordon-Smith
www.simsoup.info

Rolf Magnus

Scoots said:
Scoots said:
[...]

Your question wasn't specific to VC++. It was fine, but cannot be answered
here.
What I posted should be standard c++ in it's entirety.

Yes, it is.
My question, is what can be causing that. And I believe your answer
was: "Compiler."

Yes. Regarding standard C++, your code is - as far as I can see - correct,
so it must be some compiler issue. And for that, a VC++ group will be more
appropriate.

Scoots

Indeed, this was the code, minus a few thousand lines that were
essentially commented out (the calls to other files/functions) which
is why I took out the includes. But I had yes, actually reduced my
main to that through commenting out code.

And yes, it wasn't a true segfault :)

Too many years in school to take segfault out of my vocabulary though!

I took your advice and asked over there and the issue has been...
well, avoided if not resolved.