segmenatation fault while allocating memory

Sameer

Hello Group,

This is one problem in programming that is troubling me.

there is a segmentation fault just before creating memory to
a structure ..i.e, just after the "allocating memory " statement.

This happens for some inputs and not all.

What can be the reason for such fault ?

Kindly reply soon,
Sameer.

void add(struct node **q)
{
struct node *temp;
temp=*q;

if(*q==NULL)
{
*q=new node;
temp=*q;
}

else
{
cout << "allocating memory";
temp = new node;
cout << "memory allocated";
temp->next=*q;

Gianni Mariani

Sameer said:
Hello Group,

Hi, how is Bangalore, or New Delhi ?
This is one problem in programming that is troubling me.

Join the club.
there is a segmentation fault just before creating memory to
a structure ..i.e, just after the "allocating memory " statement.

This happens for some inputs and not all.

What can be the reason for such fault ?

Kindly reply soon,
Sameer.

This code does not create a working program.

try posting a program that compiles.
void add(struct node **q)
{
struct node *temp;
temp=*q;

if(*q==NULL)
{
*q=new node;
temp=*q;
}

else
{
cout << "allocating memory";
temp = new node;
cout << "memory allocated";
temp->next=*q;

It's likely your problem is elsewhere.

David White

Sameer said:
Hello Group,

This is one problem in programming that is troubling me.

there is a segmentation fault just before creating memory to
a structure ..i.e, just after the "allocating memory " statement.

This happens for some inputs and not all.

What can be the reason for such fault ?

Kindly reply soon,
Sameer.

void add(struct node **q)

What are you passing in as 'q'?
{
struct node *temp;
temp=*q;

You aren't using this value of temp.
if(*q==NULL)
{
*q=new node;
temp=*q;
}

else
{
cout << "allocating memory";
temp = new node;
cout << "memory allocated";
temp->next=*q;

There's no crash evident here. You need to post more code.

DW