    Any advice would be great.

    Thanks!
    , Jan 8, 2008

  2. On Jan 8, 10:15 am, wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to run a perl script on a Solaris 10 machine, which is
    > suppose to display a dialog box and I keep getting a Segmentation
    > Fault (core dumped) error.  I don't get this error message when I run
    > it on Windows or Linux.  Does anyone have an idea on where I should
    > look for the root of the problem.
    >
    > Any advice would be great.

    Post the script (if it's small), or a small example script which
    demonstrates the problem. The output of perl -V could also help us
    diagnose the problem.
    nolo contendere, Jan 8, 2008

    On Jan 8, 7:25 am, nolo contendere <> wrote:
    > On Jan 8, 10:15 am, wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > I am trying to run a perl script on a Solaris 10 machine, which is
    > > suppose to display a dialog box and I keep getting a Segmentation
    > > Fault (core dumped) error.  I don't get this error message when I run
    > > it on Windows or Linux.  Does anyone have an idea on where I should
    > > look for the root of the problem.

    > > Any advice would be great.

    > Post the script (if it's small), or a small example script which
    > demonstrates the problem. The output of perl -V could also help us
    > diagnose the problem.

    This is what perl -V returns

    Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 6 subversion 1)
    configuration:
    Platform:
    osname=solaris, osvers=2.7, archname=sun4-solaris
    uname='sunos dewitt.vnet.net 5.7 generic_patch sun4u sparc '
    config_args='-Dcc=gcc -de'
    usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
    usemultiplicity=undef
    useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
    Compiler:
    cc='gcc', ccflags ='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -
    D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
    optimize='-O',
    cppflags='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include'
    ccversion='', gccversion='2.95.3 20010315 (release)',
    gccosandvers='solaris2.7'
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=4321
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define,
    longdblsize=16
    ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t',
    lseeksize=8
    alignbytes=8, usemymalloc=y, prototype=define
    Linker and Libraries:
    ld='gcc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib '
    libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
    libs=-lsocket -lnsl -lgdbm -ldl -lm -lc
    perllibs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc
    libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
    Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
    cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-G -L/usr/local/lib'

    Compile-time options: USE_LARGE_FILES
    Built under solaris
    Compiled at Apr 26 2001 16:17:32
    @INC:
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/sun4-solaris
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/sun4-solaris

    On Jan 8, 8:46 pm, Joe Smith <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I am trying to run a perl script on a Solaris 10 machine, which is
    > > suppose to display a dialog box

    > Dialog boxes are not an integral part of perl; such things are provided
    > by modules.  Are you using the Tk module?
    >
    > > I keep getting a Segmentation
    > > Fault (core dumped) error.  I don't get this error message when I run
    > > it on Windows or Linux.

    > I've seen problems like this happen if $ENV{DISPLAY} or $ENV{WINDOWID}
    > get corrupted.
    >
    > Do you get different results when running on a dtterm, an xterm, or
    > ssh/rlogin from elsewhere?
    >
    >         -Joe

    I am using Tk modules to create my dialog boxes.

    The problem is on my machine, I get the right result when running my
    script; however, it's run on a different machine, the Segmentation
    Fault error arises.

    Is there something missing on the other solaris machine?
    , Jan 10, 2008

    On Jan 10, 12:31 pm, wrote:
    > On Jan 8, 8:46 pm, Joe Smith <> wrote:
    >

    > > wrote:
    > > > I am trying to run a perl script on a Solaris 10 machine, which is
    > > > suppose to display a dialog box

    > > Dialog boxes are not an integral part of perl; such things are provided
    > > by modules.  Are you using the Tk module?

    > > > I keep getting a Segmentation
    > > > Fault (core dumped) error.  I don't get this error message when I run
    > > > it on Windows or Linux.

    > > I've seen problems like this happen if $ENV{DISPLAY} or $ENV{WINDOWID}
    > > get corrupted.

    > > Do you get different results when running on a dtterm, an xterm, or
    > > ssh/rlogin from elsewhere?

    > >         -Joe

    > I am using Tk modules to create my dialog boxes.
    >
    > The problem is on my machine, I get the right result when running my
    > script; however, it's run on a different machine, the Segmentation
    > Fault error arises.
    >
    > Is there something missing on the other solaris machine?- Hide quoted text-

    I am getting the following information when I tried to debug it using
    gdb

    0xfee32d98 in Tcl_utfToExternalDString

    Hope that gives more information.
    , Jan 10, 2008