Segmentation Fault (core dumped) on Solaris 10

mariakvelasco

Hello,

I am trying to run a perl script on a Solaris 10 machine, which is
suppose to display a dialog box and I keep getting a Segmentation
Fault (core dumped) error. I don't get this error message when I run
it on Windows or Linux. Does anyone have an idea on where I should
look for the root of the problem.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

nolo contendere

Hello,

I am trying to run a perl script on a Solaris 10 machine, which is
suppose to display a dialog box and I keep getting a Segmentation
Fault (core dumped) error.  I don't get this error message when I run
it on Windows or Linux.  Does anyone have an idea on where I should
look for the root of the problem.

Any advice would be great.

Post the script (if it's small), or a small example script which
demonstrates the problem. The output of perl -V could also help us
diagnose the problem.

mariakvelasco

Post the script (if it's small), or a small example script which
demonstrates the problem. The output of perl -V could also help us
diagnose the problem.

This is what perl -V returns

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 6 subversion 1)
configuration:
Platform:
osname=solaris, osvers=2.7, archname=sun4-solaris
uname='sunos dewitt.vnet.net 5.7 generic_patch sun4u sparc '
config_args='-Dcc=gcc -de'
usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
usemultiplicity=undef
useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
Compiler:
cc='gcc', ccflags ='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -
D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
optimize='-O',
cppflags='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include'
ccversion='', gccversion='2.95.3 20010315 (release)',
gccosandvers='solaris2.7'
intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=4321
d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define,
longdblsize=16
ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t',
lseeksize=8
alignbytes=8, usemymalloc=y, prototype=define
Linker and Libraries:
ld='gcc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib '
libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
libs=-lsocket -lnsl -lgdbm -ldl -lm -lc
perllibs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc
libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
Dynamic Linking:
dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-G -L/usr/local/lib'

Compile-time options: USE_LARGE_FILES
Built under solaris
Compiled at Apr 26 2001 16:17:32
@INC:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/sun4-solaris
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/sun4-solaris
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl

mariakvelasco

Dialog boxes are not an integral part of perl; such things are provided
by modules.  Are you using the Tk module?

I've seen problems like this happen if $ENV{DISPLAY} or $ENV{WINDOWID}
get corrupted.

Do you get different results when running on a dtterm, an xterm, or
ssh/rlogin from elsewhere?

        -Joe

I am using Tk modules to create my dialog boxes.

The problem is on my machine, I get the right result when running my
script; however, it's run on a different machine, the Segmentation
Fault error arises.

Is there something missing on the other solaris machine?

mariakvelasco

I am using Tk modules to create my dialog boxes.

The problem is on my machine, I get the right result when running my
script; however, it's run on a different machine, the Segmentation
Fault error arises.

Is there something missing on the other solaris machine?- Hide quoted text-

I am getting the following information when I tried to debug it using
gdb

0xfee32d98 in Tcl_utfToExternalDString

Hope that gives more information.