<select> highlight color

charlie

Hopefully this is a simple question, but all of my googling has lead
me to believe that it is not possible. Is there a way to change the
color that is used as the highlight color for selecting in a select
dropdown menu. Right know, at least in ie 6 the color is always a dark
blue.

I know you can change the background and font in the drop down, but
the highlight color I have not been able to crack.

Thanks for your help,

Charlie

Mark Parnell

charlie said:
I know you can change the background and font in the drop down, but
the highlight color I have not been able to crack.

You can't change it - it is set in the user's display settings for their
computer. You can go the other way, though - make other elements use the
colour your visitor has set as their highlight colour:

foo {background-color: highlight; }

Not what you are trying to do, but interesting nonetheless.

Toby A Inkster

charlie said:
Is there a way to change the
color that is used as the highlight color for selecting in a select
dropdown menu.

Yes -- but only on your own computer.

DU

charlie said:
Hopefully this is a simple question, but all of my googling has lead
me to believe that it is not possible. Is there a way to change the
color that is used as the highlight color for selecting in a select
dropdown menu. Right know, at least in ie 6 the color is always a dark
blue.

I know you can change the background and font in the drop down, but
the highlight color I have not been able to crack.

Thanks for your help,

Charlie

CSS3 will make such change possible. I answered this question in the
past in this newsgroup.

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:

Vladdy

charlie said:
Hopefully this is a simple question, but all of my googling has lead
me to believe that it is not possible. Is there a way to change the
color that is used as the highlight color for selecting in a select
dropdown menu. Right know, at least in ie 6 the color is always a dark
blue.

I know you can change the background and font in the drop down, but
the highlight color I have not been able to crack.

Thanks for your help,

Charlie
In browsers with javascript support you can emulate select control using
a set of block elements. Here is an example of list box emulation in IE:
http://www.vladdy.net/demos/lbie.html
All elements in this example can be styled with colors you want. Example
also includes a tooltip feature for long items. It also solves the IE
bug with z-indexing of select control.

Vladdy.

charlie

You can't change it - it is set in the user's display settings for their
computer. You can go the other way, though - make other elements use the
colour your visitor has set as their highlight colour:

foo {background-color: highlight; }

Not what you are trying to do, but interesting nonetheless.

Thanks to all for your help and for some interesting bits of
information.

Charlie

Joined
Aug 4, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thank you sir

i am first time visitor here; i shaw the great example of listbox hilight colour;
i tryed the same code for 2 list boxex { actually i want to change the hilight colour of two list boxes on a form }

but it does work for first listbox not for the second one; is there a way so that it can work for both of them; ??

pls help;

thank you ; Charlie;