select multiple

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jeff Thies, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    I'd like to present a list of options, with all options being visible.

    I could use readio buttons, but I'm thinking about selects.

    If I do this:

    <select name="list_name" size="6" multiple>
    <option selected value="eenie">eenie</option>
    <option value="meenie">meenie</option>
    <option value="minie">minie</option>
    <option value="moe">moe</option>
    </select>

    I get an already open rolldown.

    Downside is that you can select multiples (of course) and unused
    scrollbars appear in some browsers.

    Is there a way to get the look of the multiple with onle being able to
    select single values (and perhaps, no scrollbars)?

    Jeff
    Jeff Thies, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Jeff Thies

    Hywel Guest

    In article <97BFc.24041$>, Jeff
    Thies says...
    > I'd like to present a list of options, with all options being visible.
    >
    > I could use readio buttons, but I'm thinking about selects.
    >
    > If I do this:
    >
    > <select name="list_name" size="6" multiple>
    > Is there a way to get the look of the multiple with onle being able to
    > select single values (and perhaps, no scrollbars)?

    Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
    opening <select>?

    --
    Hywel

    Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/
    Hywel, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    > In article <97BFc.24041$>, Jeff
    > Thies says...
    > > I'd like to present a list of options, with all options being visible.
    > >
    > > I could use readio buttons, but I'm thinking about selects.
    > >
    > > If I do this:
    > >
    > > <select name="list_name" size="6" multiple>
    > > Is there a way to get the look of the multiple with onle being able to
    > > select single values (and perhaps, no scrollbars)?

    > Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
    > opening <select>?

    Of course not! If I had I wouldn't have asked such a dumb question!

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Jeff Thies

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > <select name="list_name" size="6" multiple>
    > > Is there a way to get the look of the multiple with onle being able to
    > > select single values (and perhaps, no scrollbars)?

    > Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
    > opening <select>?

    ya think....
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jul 3, 2004
  5. Jeff Thies

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <lNBFc.24055$>,
    says...
    > > Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
    > > opening <select>?

    > Of course not! If I had I wouldn't have asked such a dumb question!

    HEY! There are no stupid questions, only stupid... well, actually
    that was pretty stupid..... ;-)
    --
    WebcastMaker
    The easiest and most affordable way
    Whitecrest, Jul 3, 2004
  6. Jeff Thies

    Hywel Guest

    In article <lNBFc.24055$>,
    Jeff Thies says...

    > "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <97BFc.24041$>, Jeff
    > > Thies says...
    > > > I'd like to present a list of options, with all options being visible.
    > > >
    > > > I could use readio buttons, but I'm thinking about selects.
    > > >
    > > > If I do this:
    > > >
    > > > <select name="list_name" size="6" multiple>
    > > > Is there a way to get the look of the multiple with onle being able to
    > > > select single values (and perhaps, no scrollbars)?

    > > Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
    > > opening <select>?

    > Of course not! If I had I wouldn't have asked such a dumb question!

    Well, I suppose someone has to state the obvious, which is easy to spot
    in someone else's code, of course. When you're looking at your own,
    "wood" and "trees" spring to mind.

    Hywel, Jul 3, 2004
  7. Jeff Thies

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Well, I suppose someone has to state the obvious, which is easy to spot
    > in someone else's code, of course. When you're looking at your own,
    > "wood"...

    that just sounds dirty....
    Whitecrest, Jul 3, 2004
  8. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    <snip>

    > > > Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
    > > > opening <select>?

    > > Of course not! If I had I wouldn't have asked such a dumb question!

    > Well, I suppose someone has to state the obvious, which is easy to spot
    > in someone else's code, of course. When you're looking at your own,
    > "wood" and "trees" spring to mind.

    Thanks are still in order!

    I was using CGI.pm to generate a scrolling_list and I hadn't really looked
    at it when I pasted the output over.

    I'm toying with this bit of javascript to simulate the selection in radio
    groups:

    Does no harm if no javascript.

    Cheers,
    Jeff