Select of invisible text

Ig

Hello,
I have a text in my page that I made its font of white color to be
invisible.
But when I select with cursor this part of the page all words become
visible.
How could this be prevented?

Thank you.

Jonathan N. Little

Ig said:
Hello,
I have a text in my page that I made its font of white color to be
invisible.
But when I select with cursor this part of the page all words become
visible.
How could this be prevented?

Don't put them there! Why are your trying so hard to content that cannot
be seen. Not user friendly to require a secret decoder ring to view your
pages.

Ig

This is the only way I found to make eBay's search to work for me. And it
works !
So please, I need technical solution and not life advices.
Thank you.

Jonathan N. Little

Ig said:
This is the only way I found to make eBay's search to work for me. And it
works !
So please, I need technical solution and not life advices.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is wrong if the search keywords apply to
the auction that they would not be appropriate to be used within your
description!

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Ig" <[email protected]>
writing in
Please do not top post -- top posting corrected
This is the only way I found to make eBay's search to work for me. And
it works !
So please, I need technical solution and not life advices.
Thank you.

You could very easily run afoul of Ebay and any other search engine,
Google in particular. This is _not_ and good thing to do, and Ebay's
policy may result in a range of actions including:
1. Listing cancellation
2. Limits on account privileges
3. Account suspension
4. Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
5. Loss of PowerSeller status

Ig

Didn't think about this...:(
Anyway, it would be interesting to know technical aspect of this issue - is
it possible to avoid selection on part of a page.
Thank you guys for your advices.

Toby Inkster

Ig said:
This is the only way I found to make eBay's search to work for me. And it
works !

Doesn't eBay's search work if you type the text in black-on-white?

Nije Nego

On Fri, 5 May 2006 23:28:13 -0600, Ig wrote:

Please do not top post!
It is difficult to follow the thread if you do.
Didn't think about this...:(
Anyway, it would be interesting to know technical aspect of this issue - is
it possible to avoid selection on part of a page.
Thank you guys for your advices.

news:[email protected]...

Having text displayed on the page (even in white - it is still a text and
that's why Ebay can read it), the only technical solution - not to see it
when selected - is to close your eyes, and also try to force all other
users to do it.

You could also consider to put text in a element which would have atribute
hidden in css, but I do not think you are familliar with css.

I am certain that you will be penalized for doing this - cheating.

Jukka K. Korpela

Ig said:
Didn't think about this...:(

I cannot disagree with that. You don't seem to be doing much thinking
even now, since you keep ignoring good advice on posting style. This is
effectively equivalent to begging to be plonked.
Anyway, it would be interesting to know technical aspect of this issue - is
it possible to avoid selection on part of a page.

Well, the technical aspect would quite apparently be far above your
current skill set. Those of us who could give you technical advice on
superficially improving the effectiveness of your hidden keyword
spamming will probably and hopefully avoid doing so.

The bottom line still is that your attempts to distort search engine
results by invisible keywords will inevitably fail, sooner or later.
There are measures against such abuse.

Michael Laplante

Toby Inkster said:
Ig wrote:

Without commenting on the questionabililty or logic of this tactic, couldn't
he put the text in a container of some sort and use the visibility attribute
to prevent it from showing? Would search engines still pick up on the text?
(leaving aside the issue of whether the web page will be up long enough for
the next sweep. )

Gary.Newelluk

There are two other ways of hiding text apart from changing the text
colour to be the background colour.

The first is to put the text in a container and hide it as has been
mentioned before.... to do this add

This text is hidden

The problem with the above is that although the text is hidden the
space is still used up on the page.

The other way is to use display: none.

this text is hidden and taking up no space.

With regards to search engines there was a high profile case of Google
flexing their muscles.

Wordpress is a blog writing tool that is used by many web hosts and the
people that wrote wordpress thought they could abuse their
page rank (which was at 9) and advertise using keywords that have
nothing to do with blog writing or the tools they supply.

Google instantly gave them a page rank of -99 which threw them to the
bottom of the list.

Wordpress had to remove the offending articles and beg Google's
forgiveness.

Think about it.... if it was as easy as putting the keywords on the
page hundreds of times and hiding them everyone would do it and your
page would be no easier to find.

Also as a person that uses search engines like Google all the time I
want the most relevant page at the top of the pile not the one that got
there by cheating.