<select..onchange() > with only one <option>

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by The Natural Philosopher, Sep 27, 2007.

  1. This is a nasty one and I can't see my way out of it.

    I have a bunch of select statements in a form, and each select statement
    has an onchange="do_something(this)" in it, and this works
    nicely..except when there is only ONE OPTION in a given select.
    It seems you cannot 'onchange' a single option!

    Well, that is reasonable.

    The trouble is I have no way of selecting it since the form itself is a
    dummy: The form action is basically to submit to a new script with
    hidden variables carefully set to get the desired action depending on
    the last option selected..

    onclick() in the <option> itself doesn't work for IE6...

    Can anyone think of a way to achieve what I want?

    The fragment in question is this one

    <TD align="center"><select STYLE="width: 200px" name="project_id"
    onchange="select_project_id(this)">
    <OPTION value= "13" >ME-262 (Sep 13th 07)</OPTION>
    </select></TD></TR>

    This works stunningly with more than one option..but falls apart with
    just one.

    The option of making the single option SELECTED is a non starter, as
    there are other options in other select statements that deselect this
    one..once deselected I can't ever get it back!

    I think I tried an onclick() on the whole select thing, but it didn't
    work too well.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 27, 2007

  2. The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    > This is a nasty one and I can't see my way out of it.
    >
    > I have a bunch of select statements in a form, and each select statement
    > has an onchange="do_something(this)" in it, and this works
    > nicely..except when there is only ONE OPTION in a given select.
    > It seems you cannot 'onchange' a single option!
    >
    > Well, that is reasonable.
    >
    > The trouble is I have no way of selecting it since the form itself is a
    > dummy: The form action is basically to submit to a new script with
    > hidden variables carefully set to get the desired action depending on
    > the last option selected..
    >
    > onclick() in the <option> itself doesn't work for IE6...
    >
    > Can anyone think of a way to achieve what I want?
    >

    > The fragment in question is this one

    > <TD align="center"><select STYLE="width: 200px" name="project_id"
    > onchange="select_project_id(this)">
    > <OPTION value= "13" >ME-262 (Sep 13th 07)</OPTION>
    > </select></TD></TR>
    >
    > This works stunningly with more than one option..but falls apart with
    > just one.
    >
    > The option of making the single option SELECTED is a non starter, as
    > there are other options in other select statements that deselect this
    > one..once deselected I can't ever get it back!
    >
    > I think I tried an onclick() on the whole select thing, but it didn't
    > work too well.

    Hmm., I seem to have fixed it by replacing onchange() with onclick()

    It seems that onclick(this) picks up the correct value in
    this.SelectedIndex..

    Oh well. The ways of Javascript passeth man's understanding etc.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 27, 2007

  3. The Natural Philosopher

    David Mark Guest

    On Sep 26, 7:53 pm, The Natural Philosopher <> wrote:
    > This is a nasty one and I can't see my way out of it.
    >
    > I have a bunch of select statements in a form, and each select statement
    > has an onchange="do_something(this)" in it, and this works
    > nicely..except when there is only ONE OPTION in a given select.
    > It seems you cannot 'onchange' a single option!
    >
    > Well, that is reasonable.
    >
    > The trouble is I have no way of selecting it since the form itself is a
    > dummy: The form action is basically to submit to a new script with
    > hidden variables carefully set to get the desired action depending on
    > the last option selected..
    >
    > onclick() in the <option> itself doesn't work for IE6...
    >
    > Can anyone think of a way to achieve what I want?

    Why use a select at all if there is only one option? Wouldn't a
    hidden input make more sense?

    David Mark, Sep 27, 2007
  4. David Mark wrote:
    > On Sep 26, 7:53 pm, The Natural Philosopher <> wrote:
    >> This is a nasty one and I can't see my way out of it.
    >>
    >> I have a bunch of select statements in a form, and each select statement
    >> has an onchange="do_something(this)" in it, and this works
    >> nicely..except when there is only ONE OPTION in a given select.
    >> It seems you cannot 'onchange' a single option!
    >>
    >> Well, that is reasonable.
    >>
    >> The trouble is I have no way of selecting it since the form itself is a
    >> dummy: The form action is basically to submit to a new script with
    >> hidden variables carefully set to get the desired action depending on
    >> the last option selected..
    >>
    >> onclick() in the <option> itself doesn't work for IE6...
    >>
    >> Can anyone think of a way to achieve what I want?

    > Why use a select at all if there is only one option? Wouldn't a
    > hidden input make more sense?

    Firstly because once the user has added more stuff there IS more than
    one option, and secondly because there are more options in more boxes
    elsewhere.

    I used SELECT/OPTION as a handy way of generating various pop up lists
    without going to deep into Javascript.

    There are several lists, all with one or more options..I need to select
    ONE item from ALL the lists and go with that.

    The javascript associated with the onchange() or onclick() stuff does
    indeed patch in a value to a hidden variable anyway.

    Anyway, using onclick() worked except the client is saying it doesn't in
    IE7 and I haven't got that to test with. Ah well.

    If all else fails I may ye write it with pure javascript pop up klists
    and ditch option/select altogether..

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 27, 2007
  5. The Natural Philosopher

    Lee Guest

    The Natural Philosopher said:

    >This is a nasty one and I can't see my way out of it.
    >
    >I have a bunch of select statements in a form, and each select statement
    >has an onchange="do_something(this)" in it, and this works
    >nicely..except when there is only ONE OPTION in a given select.
    >It seems you cannot 'onchange' a single option!

    So you have the same problem if their choice happens to be the
    default selection.
    The traditional solution is to provide a dummy first option
    with text like "Choose one..." and make your onchange handler
    return without action if selectedIndex<1

    Lee, Sep 27, 2007
  6. Lee wrote:
    > The Natural Philosopher said:
    >>
    >> This is a nasty one and I can't see my way out of it.
    >>
    >> I have a bunch of select statements in a form, and each select statement
    >> has an onchange="do_something(this)" in it, and this works
    >> nicely..except when there is only ONE OPTION in a given select.
    >> It seems you cannot 'onchange' a single option!

    > So you have the same problem if their choice happens to be the
    > default selection.
    > The traditional solution is to provide a dummy first option
    > with text like "Choose one..." and make your onchange handler
    > return without action if selectedIndex<1

    As I said, onclick works..its perfect on my selection of browsers..just
    need to see whats happening in Ie7.

    The user who reported it is not that computer savvy, so the problem
    report is indecipherable till I get on site next week.,

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 27, 2007
  7. The Natural Philosopher

    pr Guest

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > As I said, onclick works..its perfect on my selection of browsers..just
    > need to see whats happening in Ie7.

    Not if you use the keyboard it doesn't.

    pr, Sep 27, 2007
  8. The Natural Philosopher

    Tim B Guest

    "The Natural Philosopher" <> wrote in message
    > Lee wrote:
    > > The Natural Philosopher said:
    > >>
    > >> This is a nasty one and I can't see my way out of it.
    > >>
    > >> I have a bunch of select statements in a form, and each select

    statement
    > >> has an onchange="do_something(this)" in it, and this works
    > >> nicely..except when there is only ONE OPTION in a given select.
    > >> It seems you cannot 'onchange' a single option!

    > > So you have the same problem if their choice happens to be the
    > > default selection.
    > > The traditional solution is to provide a dummy first option
    > > with text like "Choose one..." and make your onchange handler
    > > return without action if selectedIndex<1
    > >

    > As I said, onclick works..its perfect on my selection of browsers..just
    > need to see whats happening in Ie7.
    >
    > The user who reported it is not that computer savvy, so the problem
    > report is indecipherable till I get on site next week.,

    Why would the user click it if there is only one option?

    Tim B, Sep 27, 2007
  9. Tim B wrote:
    > "The Natural Philosopher" <> wrote in message

    > statement
    >>> So you have the same problem if their choice happens to be the
    >>> default selection.
    >>> The traditional solution is to provide a dummy first option
    >>> with text like "Choose one..." and make your onchange handler
    >>> return without action if selectedIndex<1
    >>>

    >> As I said, onclick works..its perfect on my selection of browsers..just
    >> need to see whats happening in Ie7.
    >>
    >> The user who reported it is not that computer savvy, so the problem
    >> report is indecipherable till I get on site next week.,

    > Why would the user click it if there is only one option?

    Because as I have patiently explained, there are other options in other
    select windows. These are all mutually exclusive.

    It turned out to be easier to have multiple windows each with its own
    drop down menu, than one enormous scrolling window.

    Basically projects - assocaitionns of files and images - are held on a
    per user basis.

    The master library view lists all the users (who have projects), and
    each user has his project set in a window. You select one project in one
    window, and then go to it to do whatever.

    So is perfectly possible to select a one of many option from a window
    with only one element.

    As I say, right now <select onclick="select_from(this)">
    <option value="x"> I am a lonely option</option>
    </select>

    works well enough..this.selectedIndex.valueis set correctly if the user
    clicks on the box. In firefox, IE6 and Safari.

    Well play with it if you like..

    function selectproject()
    {
    document.getElementsByName("select_project")[0].value="yes";
    if(document.getElementsByName("selected_project_id")[0].value=="")
    alert("You didn't select a project to edit!!\n");
    else document.forms[0].submit();
    }
    function newproject()
    {
    document.getElementsByName("selected_project_id")[0].value="";
    document.getElementsByName("select_project")[0].value="yes";
    document.forms[0].submit();
    }

    function select_project_id(here)
    {
    index=here.selectedIndex;
    id=here[index].value;
    for(i=0;i< document.forms[0].project_id.length;i++)
    {
    for (j=0;j<document.forms[0].project_id.length;j++)

    document.forms[0].project_id.options[j].style.color="white";
    document.forms[0].project_id.style.color="white";
    }
    here.style.color="yellow";
    here[index].style.color="yellow";
    document.getElementsByName("selected_project_id")[0].value=id;
    }

    </script>
    <CENTER><TABLE border="0">
    <TR><TD width="200px" height="55px" align="center" valign="center"
    class="button" >
    <b class="s3" onclick=" newproject()" onmouseover="this.className='s4'"
    onmouseout="this.className='s3'">NEW PROJECT</b></TD>

    <TD height="55px" align="center" valign="center" class="button" >
    <b class="s3" onclick=" selectproject()"
    onmouseover="this.className='s4'" onmouseout="this.className='s3'">EDIT
    SELECTED</b></TD></TR>
    <TD align="center"><select STYLE="width: 200px" name="project_id"
    onclick="select_project_id(this)">
    <OPTION value= "11" >More testicles (Sep 4th 07)</OPTION>
    <OPTION value= "8" >Database project (Sep 3rd 07)</OPTION>
    </select></TD></TR>
    <TD align="center"><select STYLE="width: 200px" name="project_id"
    onclick="select_project_id(this)">
    <OPTION value= "5" >another test project (Sep 1st 07)</OPTION>
    <OPTION value= "6" >Further tests (Aug 30th 07)</OPTION>

    </select></TD></TR>
    <TD align="center"><select STYLE="width: 200px" name="project_id"
    onclick="select_project_id(this)">
    <OPTION value= "12" "Bleriot" (Sep 5th 07)</OPTION>
    <OPTION value= "7" >Miles Away (Sep 3rd 07)</OPTION>
    <OPTION value= "4" >Test project (Sep 2nd 07)</OPTION>
    </SELECT></TD></TR></table>
    <input type="hidden" name="selected_project_id" value="">
    <input type="hidden" name="select_project" value="no">
    </FORM>

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 27, 2007
  10. pr wrote:
    > The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >> As I said, onclick works..its perfect on my selection of
    >> browsers..just need to see whats happening in Ie7.

    > Not if you use the keyboard it doesn't.

    Wasn't able to use the keyboard to do anything anyway in this case.

    The help screen tells you to click...;-)

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 27, 2007
  11. The Natural Philosopher

    David Mark Guest

    On Sep 27, 6:00 am, The Natural Philosopher <> wrote:
    > David Mark wrote:
    > > On Sep 26, 7:53 pm, The Natural Philosopher <> wrote:
    > >> This is a nasty one and I can't see my way out of it.

    > >> I have a bunch of select statements in a form, and each select statement
    > >> has an onchange="do_something(this)" in it, and this works
    > >> nicely..except when there is only ONE OPTION in a given select.
    > >> It seems you cannot 'onchange' a single option!

    > >> Well, that is reasonable.

    > >> The trouble is I have no way of selecting it since the form itself is a
    > >> dummy: The form action is basically to submit to a new script with
    > >> hidden variables carefully set to get the desired action depending on
    > >> the last option selected..

    > >> onclick() in the <option> itself doesn't work for IE6...

    > >> Can anyone think of a way to achieve what I want?

    > > Why use a select at all if there is only one option? Wouldn't a
    > > hidden input make more sense?

    > Firstly because once the user has added more stuff there IS more than
    > one option, and secondly because there are more options in more boxes
    > elsewhere.

    Then you would change the UI at the point where there is more than one
    option. Other options in other boxes don't enter into it unless those
    are what trigger the change in the UI.

    > I used SELECT/OPTION as a handy way of generating various pop up lists
    > without going to deep into Javascript.

    It sounds more like you used form elements because you need to
    populate and submit a form.

    > There are several lists, all with one or more options..I need to select
    > ONE item from ALL the lists and go with that.

    But if one has only one option, then it doesn't need a visible form
    element.

    > The javascript associated with the onchange() or onclick() stuff does
    > indeed patch in a value to a hidden variable anyway.

    So your select with one option could just be a hidden input to start
    with.

    > Anyway, using onclick() worked except the client is saying it doesn't in
    > IE7 and I haven't got that to test with. Ah well.

    The onclick event does not indicate a change of the input element's
    value.

    > If all else fails I may ye write it with pure javascript pop up klists
    > and ditch option/select altogether..

    If you need to populate and submit a form, then I think you should use
    a form.

    David Mark, Sep 27, 2007
  12. The Natural Philosopher

    David Mark Guest

    On Sep 27, 12:07 pm, The Natural Philosopher <> wrote:
    > Tim B wrote:
    > > "The Natural Philosopher" <> wrote in message

    > > statement

    > >> As I said, onclick works..its perfect on my selection of browsers..just
    > >> need to see whats happening in Ie7.

    > >> The user who reported it is not that computer savvy, so the problem

    The underlying problem is that you are not very HTML or script savvy.

    > >> report is indecipherable till I get on site next week.,

    > > Why would the user click it if there is only one option?

    > Because as I have patiently explained, there are other options in other
    > select windows. These are all mutually exclusive.

    The problem is that your explanations are indecipherable.

    > It turned out to be easier to have multiple windows each with its own
    > drop down menu, than one enormous scrolling window.

    Selects are not dropdown menus, nor are they windows.

    > Basically projects - assocaitionns of files and images - are held on a
    > per user basis.
    >
    > The master library view lists all the users (who have projects), and
    > each user has his project set in a window. You select one project in one
    > window, and then go to it to do whatever.
    >
    > So is perfectly possible to select a one of many option from a window
    > with only one element.

    Despite all of these explanations, it still isn't clear to me what you
    are trying to do or why you feel the need to use a single-option
    select.

    > As I say, right now <select onclick="select_from(this)">
    > <option value="x"> I am a lonely option</option>
    > </select>
    >
    > works well enough..this.selectedIndex.valueis set correctly if the user
    > clicks on the box. In firefox, IE6 and Safari.

    So you are using an onclick event to "detect" when an input element
    that has one option has "changed."

    > Well play with it if you like..

    No thanks. Start over with a proper HTML form that works without
    scripting. Then think about how you could enhance it with client side
    script.

    David Mark, Sep 27, 2007
  13. The Natural Philosopher

    Lee Guest

    The Natural Philosopher said:

    >Tim B wrote:
    >> "The Natural Philosopher" <> wrote in message

    >> statement
    >>>>

    >>> As I said, onclick works..its perfect on my selection of browsers..just
    >>> need to see whats happening in Ie7.
    >>>
    >>> The user who reported it is not that computer savvy, so the problem
    >>> report is indecipherable till I get on site next week.,

    >> Why would the user click it if there is only one option?
    >>

    >Because as I have patiently explained, there are other options in other
    >select windows. These are all mutually exclusive.

    You haven't explained why, if one of the select objects is already
    showing the value that the user wants to choose, they should be
    expected click on it.

    That's not how people are used to interacting with selection lists.

    Explaining that "you have to treat these select objects differently
    than any others that you've used" probably isn't the best design.

    Lee, Sep 27, 2007
  14. The Natural Philosopher

    Aaron Saray Guest

    On Sep 27, 12:29 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > The Natural Philosopher said the following on 9/27/2007 6:00 AM:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > If all else fails I may ye write it with pure javascript pop up klists
    > > and ditch option/select altogether..

    > It should be a hoot to watch you try to write a "pure javascript popup
    > klists" (whatever a klist is) when you can't even understand why your
    > present code doesn't work.
    >
    > --
    > Randy
    > Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    There is a lot here - and a lot of misunderstanding / communication
    issues perhaps? Anyways, here are my thoughts:

    You may want to write a script that executes body.onload to check any
    of those select boxes and populate the hidden input fields with the
    current index selected of each drop down (this fits into what I
    _THINK_ you're trying to do...)

    Another thing is to know dynamically in your generating script if you
    have only one option. If it is, generate all of the content ahead of
    time (ie, fill your hidden inputs, make the select box possibly a
    dummy - with no id/name, etc...)

    Aaron Saray, Sep 28, 2007
  15. The Natural Philosopher

    matatunos Guest

    > <TD align="center"><select STYLE="width: 200px" name="project_id"
    > onchange="select_project_id(this)">
    > <OPTION value= "13" >ME-262 (Sep 13th 07)</OPTION>
    > </select></TD></TR>

    i think this may help

    <select STYLE="width: 200px" id="project_id" name="project_id"
    onchange="select_project_id(this)">
    <OPTION value="" selected="selected">-[Select a project]-</OPTION>
    <OPTION value="13">ME-262 (Sep 13th 07)</OPTION>
    </select>

    var f=document.getElementById("formname");
    if(f.project_id.options[f.project_id.selectedIndex].value=="")
    alert("You didn't select a project to edit!!\n");

    matatunos, Sep 28, 2007
  16. Aaron Saray wrote:
    > On Sep 27, 12:29 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >> The Natural Philosopher said the following on 9/27/2007 6:00 AM:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> If all else fails I may ye write it with pure javascript pop up klists
    >>> and ditch option/select altogether..

    >> It should be a hoot to watch you try to write a "pure javascript popup
    >> klists" (whatever a klist is) when you can't even understand why your
    >> present code doesn't work.

    Oh I understand why it doesn't work all right.

    As I said in my original post.

    However as I also said, it now does. To the specification I want anyway.

    Sorry for not replying earlier. Been on a short holiday.

    The Natural Philosopher, Oct 2, 2007