select.poll() and WSAPoll

inhahe

select.poll isn't supported on Windows, because Windows doesn't have such a
feature, or at least it didn't until Vista. Vista implements the same thing
but called WSAPoll, an article is here
http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2006/10/26/WSAPoll.aspx
I hope that the next edition of Python supports select.poll on Vista, or at
least that someone writes a third-party module fo it. As much as I'd love to
do it myself, it's probably beyond me.. i've never used poll before nor
written a Python extension. also, i don't have Vista.
Thanks

Christian Heimes

inhahe said:
select.poll isn't supported on Windows, because Windows doesn't have such a
feature, or at least it didn't until Vista. Vista implements the same thing
but called WSAPoll, an article is here
http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2006/10/26/WSAPoll.aspx
I hope that the next edition of Python supports select.poll on Vista, or at
least that someone writes a third-party module fo it. As much as I'd love to
do it myself, it's probably beyond me.. i've never used poll before nor
written a Python extension. also, i don't have Vista.

Python 2.6 and 3.0 doesn't have support for WSAPoll so far. I don't have
Vista on my dev box so I can't add WSAPoll as I've added epoll and
kqueue for 2.6.

I don't think we can officially support WPAPoll since Python 2.6 is
suppose to run on Windows 2000 and XP, too.

Christian

inhahe

I don't think we can officially support WPAPoll since Python 2.6 is
suppose to run on Windows 2000 and XP, too.

Christian

Oh, yeah, I was wondering about that, since there aren't separate
distributions of Python for Vista vs. XP etc. But I wonder if Python could
just give an attribute error, or perhaps some other error, for select.poll
if it's not running on Vista, perhaps some kind of run-time detection if
it's vista or if wsapoll is available? or even an installation time thing?
Since there's nothing promising that select.poll will work on windows
anyway. or does it just not work like that? :e

although a third party module would be nice too (if anyone out there has
vista..:)