<select size="1"> drop down list too small

Bernhard Kuemel

Richard

Jukka K. Korpela

Bernhard Kuemel said:

Stop being ridiculous in public.
When you open this second list
with e.g. IE 6.0.2800.1106 it only shows 11 elements and gives
access to the last 3 via a scroll bar even though the whole list
would easily fit on the screen. - -
I was asked to make the list show completely. Can you tell me how?

Yes. Replace size="1" by size="14".

As the user fills out a form, he moves forward (i.e., downward) in the
form, and it is scrolled down as needed, as part of the page. There's
seldom a good reason to confuse this by adding separately scrollable
subareas - especially if they create problems like the one you describe.

On the other hand, it's often simpler to let the user type in some short
piece of data than to ask him to pick up an option from a list - especially
if the list is long. Naturally, you need to check user data correctness
server-side. Did you intend to omit such a check when using <select>?
An invitation to simple hacking.

Hywel Jenkins

Fire fox rules! It shows all 14 items correctly.

How did you figure that out, RtS? What if there were 21 items in the
list? Or 200?

However, you should check your site through www.validator.w3.org

Indeed. RtS knows about the validator but doesn't know how to use it.

You need to understand what can and can not be used in which tags.

Is this the stupid leading the blind?

If you have problems understanding English terminology, feel free to ask.

Just don't ask Richard the Stupid. Ignore everything he says. Listen
to him at your peril.